WPMU and let's encrypt

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by tonytroy, Apr 24, 2017.

1. tonytroy

tonytroy Member

Hi there,
    I'm using ISPconfig 3.1 (recently updated) on Debian Jessie 8.2 for a Wordpress Multi site installation with domain mapping, that means that i only have the main domain name listed in ISPconfig, all others domain names are managed directly from the WPMU as they are subdomains.
    How can i replace http for https for some of those domains with let's encrypt ?
    When i run the "certbot --apache" command, i have this error :
    FastCgiExternalServer: redefinition of previously defined class

Any help would be appreciated, let me know if you need more informations.

Regards,
    tonytroy.

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can let ispconfig setup letsencrypt certificates, no need to do that manually with certbot. Search the forums here and you'll find the specifics for wpmu setup someone posted (I believe either @till or @ahrasis); you will need to add the domains into Ispconfig to do so though, but most likely you will have to do that anyways so the webserver is configured for them.

3. tonytroy

tonytroy Member

Hi Jesse,

Thx for your answer but actually, domains are managed by the registrar, i only use redirections of the domains names on IPs managed on my server. Also websites are not configured in ISPConfig as i manage them with de domain mapping extension from the WPMU.

So according to you, i have to manage the dns directly from my server and add each site in the ISPConfig conf to add HTTPS on the websites ?
    I'm gonna try this and keep you in touch.

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You have an unusual setup; if you want ispconfig to manage letsencrypt certificates, yes, you would need to add them into ispconfig; however with your setup, if there is no other reason you need to add them in ispconfig, then you could just manage the certificates manually as you started to. If you go that route, you'll probably want to use webroot, and not have certbot change your apache configuration, or the changes very well may get overwritten by ispconfig later on (though it depends how you have it configured now - if you did your apache config completely outside of ispconfig you might be safe).