Write permission Shell-User home

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by pjdevries, May 5, 2015.

1. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

Hi,
    In a freshly ISPConfig3 setup I craeted a web site and an accompanying FTP-Account and Shell-User. The home directory of the Shell-User appears to be the Website's root directory (i.e. :/var/www/clients/client1/web1). However, since that directory is owned by root, the Shell-User has no write permission there. So I can not add .bashrc or .vimrc files etc. I'm also having trouble installing Meteor, whose install script relies on being able to write in the users home directory. Is there work around for this situation?

Regards,
    Pieter-Jan

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The next patch release will contain a fix for that.

3. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

Hi Till,
    Thanks for the swift repsponse. Good to hear a fix is on it's way.
    Do you have any suggestions what I can do for the time being? It's important I get this Meteor environment up and running.
    Regards,
    Pieter-Jan

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Edit the home path of this additional shell user in /etc/passwd so that it points to the private directory of the website instead of the website root. Do this change for the additional shell user onlx and not for the web[ID] user.

5. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

I thought about that, but figured ediiting the /etc/passwd file manually is not the preferred way when using ISPConfig. But it works for now, so I''m happy and look forward to the patch.
    Thanks for the help.
    Regards,
    Pieter-Jan