Wrong MX Record being set

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by hairydog2, Nov 27, 2005.

1. hairydog2

hairydog2 New Member

When I set up a new website, if I select the Create DNS and the Create DNS MX checkboxes, it sets up MX records.

The problem that they are not the right MX records!

If I am running on https://www.hostserver.com:81 the MX records for www.newsite.com are being set up as

MX 10 hostingserver.com

instead of

MX 10 newsite.com

I've tried changing line 976 of ispconfig_isp_web.lib.php as mentioned in another thread
    and I've tried with the "Default MX" on and off in Management | Server | Settings | DNS

It looks as if ISPConfig is not using the newsite name when setting the MX records.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug in ISPConfig?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

No, it's not a bug. ISPConfig uses the hostname you entered during the installation which is ok. In the end it doesn't matter if you use
    Code:
    MX 10 hostingserver.com
    or

Code:
    MX 10 newsite.com
    as long as both hostingserver.com and newsite.com point to the same IP address (which they should unless you did something wrong).

3. hairydog2

hairydog2 New Member

OK, thanks we'll have to live with that.

At present, the hostingdomain.com isn't on the same IP address but it will be when the migration has gone a bit further.

At present hosting.hostingdomain.com is the ISPConfig machines IP and hostingdomain.com is on the old server.

We're half way through moving 70 domains and many of the old ones used the old hostingserver.com address so we can't change the DNS for that till the migration is finished.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can use ISPConfig's DNS Manager to manually create the needed MX records.

5. hairydog2

hairydog2 New Member

Thanks. That's what we shall have to do until the migration is finished.