www.yourdomain.com/webmail option

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by The General, Jun 28, 2011.

1. The General

The General New Member

Hi everyone, I have noticed that there seems to be quite a few people that would like to have the option of putting a /webmail symlink for the access to squirrelmail login screen.

I have tried the "fix" changing the apache2-doc file and it doesn't work for me!

Is there someway that there can be a checkbox for this option to be enabled so that to enable www.yourdomain.com/webmail you just click a checkbox in the mail domain setup screen?

2. HyperAtom

HyperAtom New Member

Yep, cool idea will save people creating Alias manually which I have done for ages.

3. Toucan

Toucan Member

I also normally do this manually without problems. ... but I know there have been issues from previous conversations with Falko. By running shared applications under different users it can create problems. Example could be one user having elevated rights using by running squirrel mail under his own user - could potentially give more rights than that of the default owner.

Also, some applications won't run properly unless under the correct user.

If I remember right, for these reasons there are no plans to add this feature.

4. Allytech

Allytech New Member

automatic redirection

just put:

Sites -> options -> " Apache directives"

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ^/webmail(.*) http://%{SERVER_ADDR}/webmail [R,L]

5. theWeird

theWeird Member

you can also use this in apache directives:

Alias /webmail /var/www/webmail
    (in this example /var/www/webmail is the absolute path to your webmail installation)

If you want to enable this folder alias for all customers on the server, create a file /etc/apache2/conf.d/webmail with the above line as content.
    After a /etc/init.d/apache2 reload the alias is used by ALL websites.

6. lordcalin

lordcalin New Member

I guess I went about the solve for this the opposite way of everyone else.

Instead of allowing /webmail to certain sites, I created a global site alias for webmail.* (or just mail.* on some installations) and then on sites that should have webmail, I just make sure the webmail subdomain is added to the DNS ... keeps the webmail running as the special made webmail user for security, and since it is installed as it's own website, and still allows me to pick and choose who gets it.