XEN 3.0.1 include error

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by clydemaxwell, Apr 13, 2006.

1. clydemaxwell

clydemaxwell New Member

Hi all,

Hopefully someone here can help me resolve this. I am following the debian xen 3.0 tutorial, and have come upon an error. After I make world, then make oldconfig, then make menuconfig and set up my kernel options...
    The docs say to cd .. followed by make, and then make install. When I do this, I receive the following errors:

UPD include/asm-xen/asm_offsets.h
    mv: cannot stat `include/asm-xen/asm_offsets.h.tmp': No such file or directory
    make[3]: *** [include/asm-xen/asm_offsets.h] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xen-3.0.1/linux-2.6.12-xen0'
    make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/xen-3.0.1/linux-2.6.12-xen0'
    if [ -r System.map -a -x /sbin/depmod ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map -b /usr/src/xen-3.0.1/dist/install -r 2.6.12.6-xen0; fi
    make -C linux-2.6.12-xen0 ARCH=xen INSTALL_PATH=/usr/src/xen-3.0.1/dist/install install
    make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/xen-3.0.1/linux-2.6.12-xen0'
    CHK include/linux/version.h
    CHK include/asm-xen/asm_offsets.h
    /bin/sh: line 1: arch//kernel/asm-offsets.s: No such file or directory
    UPD include/asm-xen/asm_offsets.h
    mv: cannot stat `include/asm-xen/asm_offsets.h.tmp': No such file or directory
    make[3]: *** [include/asm-xen/asm_offsets.h] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [build] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xen-3.0.1'
    make[1]: *** [linux-2.6-xen0-install] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xen-3.0.1'
    make: *** [install-kernels] Error 1

I see a few of the errors here. First, looking in arch//kernel means that it isn't reading my $(ARCH) variable for some reason, as that line SHOULD be arch/xen/kernel
    Nonetheless, arch/xen/kernel does not contain asm-offsets.s. Is it built by the initial check on include/asm-xen/asm_offsets.h (asm_offsets.h.tmp), which fails? I have no idea why that file isn't there. Could it have failed in my 'make world'? I am going to retry that and see if it works, but if anyone here has any idea how to resolve this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
    C. Maxwell

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Did you follow the tutorial to the letter? You can simply copy & paste most of the instructions. Maybe you made a typo somewhere.

3. clydemaxwell

clydemaxwell New Member

fixed!

No, I didn't follow it to the letter. I had a number of changes to make.

Regardless, I knew what I was doing with that, and my error was simple: I looked back through my sudo logs, and it seems that I forgot to 'make world' as root. Correcting this error has corrected all my other ones. Make oldconfig no longer prompts me, and make/make install have now gone off without a hitch.

The only thing remaining is to see if 3.0.1 will handle my hdd properly (2.0.7 did not)

Thanks for your help!