Xen 3.0, Ubuntu 5.10, and Windows 2003 Server

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Jcorrea920, May 2, 2006.

1. Jcorrea920

Jcorrea920 New Member

I have been looking for a way to run Windows 2003 Enterprise Server along with its valuable SharePoint on a linux platform. I researched QEMU and they have not reached that goal yet. I noticed that VMWare might be overkill especially for only a single domain controller. So now I came across the Xen 3.0. Can it support Ubuntu 5.10 or does it have to be Debian Sarge like the tutorial? Can Ubuntu host Windows 2k3 Enterprise with Xen 3.0?

I have read in this forum that Ubuntu is very similar to Debian so maybe it is possible. Once our main software is available to run on Linux there may not be a need to use Windows anymore, but for now this software is the main bloodline of our business. So as a quick fix we would like to run, Linux servers and Windows Desktops. I know about the Samba tutorial, but since we are also using Sharepoint along with Outlook 2003 we need a Windows 2k3 virtual server. Should I keep dreaming about this or just stick to the basic Windows server install straight to the NTFS hard drive?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can use Ubuntu.

Not without changing Windows. Every guest operating system must be changed in certain ways, unless your processor supports paravirtualization (Intel Vanderbilt or AMD Pacifica). I read somewhere that the Xen guys managed to change Windows in a way that it works with Xen, but they cannot publish it otherwise they would get problems with Microsoft (copyrights, etc.)...

3. Jcorrea920

Jcorrea920 New Member

I guess VMWare Server Beta is where I should be looking...

Falko,

I guess in order to achieve what I want to achieve I must use VMWare Server Beta for hosting Windows 2K3 Enterprise Server on a Linux Host. And to make it more useful for others to configure and update I probably will stick with Ubuntu. Any advice?:eek:

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes, use VMware Server. :)