[Xen] Differences between Image-Based VM and lvM-Based VM

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Balbuzard, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Balbuzard

Balbuzard New Member

Hey,
    I am new to Xen, and I don't see the differences between Image-Based VM and LVM-Based VM.
    I have read the tutoriel of falko; Image-Based VM are said to be more heavy and slow in the disk, but is there any other differences? In there any link with para-full virtualisation provided by Xen?
    Sorry for my so basic question! But I have nothing found about this yet.
    Thanks a lot for your answers and help!

2. Flash

Flash New Member

In case of Image based, Xen takes care of reading and writing the files to the disk (in the image file) which in turn is written to the actual disk by the kernel, in case of LVM, Xen doesnt worry about it and lets the kernel handle it. the second one is a lot faster.

The reason to pick image based over LVM based is the image based are much easyer to handle, you have all files in 1 directory and you can delete them if you want very easy. LVM takes a bit more knowledge to work with.

3. Balbuzard

Balbuzard New Member

Oki, Thanks for your answer. Is there any link between full and para virtualisation and LVM / Image - Based VM?
    I have read that Xen can provide the both kind of virtualisation, but I have not read anything yet to explain how to do it.
    Moreover, I have to install in a VM a graphic application, and I would like to provide it with direct access to the graphic card (I am afraid that VNC is not enough); Is it easier with LVM-Based VM or should I do it with Image-Based VM?
    Thanks a lot for your help! (And sorry for my bad English :-S)

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Full-/paravirtualization do have nothing to do with image-/LVM-based guests. You can use images or LVM for both full and paravirtualization.

Most Xen guides here are for paravirtualization. Here's one for full virtualization: http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-ru...uests-hvm-with-xen-3.2-on-debian-lenny-x86_64

Doesn't matter. If you use images or LVM does have nothing to do with the capabilities of the guest.

5. Balbuzard

Balbuzard New Member

Oki, Thank you very much for your answer!
    I will come back to you if any I have some other problems with Xen ;-)