Xen guest networking clarification

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by binjured, Feb 8, 2008.

1. binjured

binjured New Member

I read the very helpful tutorial here: http://www.howtoforge.com/centos_5.0_xen

But one thing is still a bit confusing to me. I want to use a few VMs for web hosting and am wondering how domains/dns stuff would work with the VM. For example, I setup clientdomain.com in my named.conf and create a zone file, easy enough. If the client is running, say, Apache in their VM, is it good enough that they have it setup to use clientdomain.com and their domain registration info is setup for the host machine's DNS server?

Secondly, what if they want to add more domains? They can't very well edit the host server's named and zone info. Can they simply run their own BIND and have it work as expected? I'm just a bit confused, as you can probably tell! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

The DNS records for clientdomain.com must point to the vm's IP address.

Of course you can install BIND in a vm. You can treat a Xen VM exactly like a physical machine.

3. binjured

binjured New Member

So does each VM need its own public IP or is it like a "normal" setup where you can run multiple domains off of a single IP, unless something like SSL is needed? Would I just need to make a change like localhost.clientdomain.com. IN A <VM LAN IP>?

Okay. I guess this would make sense if each machine were given its own public IP, too.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, unless you set up Xen to use NAT instead of bridging. But if you use NAT, then you can use a certain service on only one vm (e.g. Apache), because you can forward one port to only one target vm.

5. binjured

binjured New Member

Ah, okay. The whole virtualization thing is still a bit new to me so treating them as completely independant servers still feels a little goofy to me ;)

Thanks, Falko.