XEN how do i install guest OS from ISO or CD-ROM

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by The General, Aug 21, 2008.

1. The General

The General New Member

can anyone please tell me in plain terms how i can install a guest machine from an ISO or CD-ROM with xen using the command line not the GUI. I am trying to install smoothwall into a virtual machine, but im a newbie to XEN and i need to get this running ASAP!

I have managed to get vm running wth ISPCONFIG running on it with no problems, but this does'nt require a ISO or CD-ROM image as i can unpack the *.tar on the VM.....

Please help !!:confused:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  2. planet_fox

planet_fox Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have a near problem :) How can I Install of ubunto host a debian or fedora with create image?

Must I only change the mirror? than I think its the same with iso cd, when i have a iso cd or dvd i must write in mirror this

Code:
    xen-create-image --hostname=xen1.example.com --size=2Gb --swap=256Mb --ide \
    --ip=192.168.0.101 --netmask=255.255.255.0 --gateway=192.168.0.1 --force \
    --dir=/home/xen --memory=64Mb --arch=i386 --kernel=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-xen \
    --initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-xen --install-method=debootstrap --dist=hardy \
    --mirror=http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ --passwd
    Must I only change the mirror? than I think its the same with iso cd, when i have a iso cd or dvd i must write in mirror this

Code:
    --mirror=/media/dvd/debian.iso
    and
    Code:
    --dist=etch

3. The General

The General New Member

there must be a simple way. It is such a common form of system install method (ISO/DVD/CD-ROM) that it must be something simple, as in "a few changes to the .conf file of something???? it should be made easier to accomplish....... or maybe it is easy! perhaps some GURU will tell us!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I don't know if this is possible. I've always used debootstrap or xen-tools...

5. The General

The General New Member

I thought you might say that Falko! i have been searching forums far and wide, checking out books on XEN as well and there is nothing said about these methods of install. Fedora offer a ISO/CD-ROM method of install with it's "virtual machine manager" how they work it god only knows!LOL

What about doing a convertion ISO > tar is that a possibility? I have seen plenty of stuff about installing .tar files if that was the case then installing ISO/DVD/CD-ROM would not be an issue.... would it?

6. alejo.vazquez

alejo.vazquez New Member

How to use debootstrap with CD-ROM

Hi:

Edit /etc/xen-tools/xen-tools.conf

Comment with # this line:

# mirror = http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian

Add this line:

mirror = file:/media/cdrom/debian/

At first you should have mounted the Debian CD-ROM in the directory: /media/cdrom

Greetings.

Alejo V.