xhtml support

Discussion in 'General' started by latcarf, Oct 24, 2006.

1. latcarf

latcarf New Member

Does ISPConfig support it? I added index.xhtml to httpd.conf and restarted the server. All I get when connecting to the page is a 403 error. Thinking I missed something along the way...

2. Ben

Ben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

What does xhtml support mean? The only thing I know regarding that is, xhtml beeing another way of writing the html tags, like closing them explicitly or with a trailing / if they do not have a closing tag... that can also be coded into a "normal html file" just with changing the DTD-Line to any xhtml stuff...

If you want to generally configure that you should do that in your httpd conf of your apache....

3. latcarf

latcarf New Member

I think I meant supporting .xhtml file extension but doing some real basic and quick research based on your answer I am not sure now... I assumed an xhtml page needed to be named .xhtml

I just started using NVU in Linux (versus Dreamweaver in XP) to do some web pages and it defaults to xhtml which is my first real experience with it. I changed the index extension to just .html on the page I was trying to load and it worked. well... almost! :D seems NVU's preview mode is not real-time (or wysiwyg).

hhmmm... maybe I should do some more homework on xhtml!

so much to learn... so little time in the day...

thanks for the help :)

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You an add index.xhtml to the DirectoryIndex on the Options tab of the web site in ISPConfig. Then the 403 error should be gone.

5. latcarf

latcarf New Member

thanks Falko!

I thought there might be something in ISPConfig I was missing because I noticed the HowTo pages were xhtml. Are there also any settings or considerations for CSS in ISPConfig?

6. falko

I don't understand... There are no server-side settings for CSS, you just link your stylesheets in the header of your HTML pages.

7. latcarf

latcarf New Member

Don't feel bad it seems I don't either! :) CSS is new to me as is xhtml. I did add index.xhtml to the ISPConfig settings for the site. I still get a page not found error. I verified my xhtml and css with w3c and both check out so I am not sure what other issues to look at.

Is a restart needed for adding the .xhtml to ISPConfig?

8. falko

Can you post your vhost configuration for that web site here?

9. latcarf

latcarf New Member

Here you go
    Code:
    <VirtualHost 192.168.2.5:80>
    ServerName www.thefractalfarm.net:80
    ServerAdmin [email protected]
    DocumentRoot /srv/www/web2/web
    ServerAlias thefractalfarm.net
    DirectoryIndex index.xhtml index.html index.htm index.php index.php5 index.php4 index.php3 index.shtml index.cgi index.pl index.jsp Default.htm default.htm
    ScriptAlias  /cgi-bin/ /srv/www/web2/cgi-bin/
    AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
    AddHandler cgi-script .pl
    ErrorLog /srv/www/web2/log/error.log
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php3 .php4 .php5
    <Files *.php>
        SetOutputFilter PHP
        SetInputFilter PHP
    </Files>
    <Files *.php3>
        SetOutputFilter PHP
        SetInputFilter PHP
    </Files>
    <Files *.php4>
        SetOutputFilter PHP
        SetInputFilter PHP
    </Files>
    <Files *.php5>
        SetOutputFilter PHP
        SetInputFilter PHP
    </Files>
    php_admin_flag safe_mode On
    php_admin_value open_basedir /srv/www/web2/
    php_admin_value file_uploads 1
    php_admin_value upload_tmp_dir /srv/www/web2/phptmp/
    php_admin_value session.save_path /srv/www/web2/phptmp/
    AddType text/html .shtml
    AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml
    Alias /error/ "/srv/www/web2/web/error/"
    ErrorDocument 400 /error/invalidSyntax.html
    ErrorDocument 401 /error/authorizationRequired.html
    ErrorDocument 403 /error/forbidden.html
    ErrorDocument 404 /error/fileNotFound.html
    ErrorDocument 405 /error/methodNotAllowed.html
    ErrorDocument 500 /error/internalServerError.html
    ErrorDocument 503 /error/overloaded.html
    AliasMatch ^/~([^/]+)(/(.*))? /srv/www/web2/user/$1/web/$3
    AliasMatch ^/users/([^/]+)(/(.*))? /srv/www/web2/user/$1/web/$3
    </VirtualHost>

10. falko

You have index.xhtml in your DirectoryIndex:
    so everything should be fine unless you uploaded index.xhtml to the wrong directory. Maybe there's also an .htaccess file that causes problems?

11. latcarf

latcarf New Member

I found only one .htaccess in /. It is in /srv/www/htdocs/phpMyAdmin/libraries and this is the content
    Code:
    # This folder does not require access over HTTP
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Allow from none

As a novice Linux user I would have first considered this a problem but then I remembered that ISPConfig basically blocks the use of /svr/www/htdocs doesn't it?

I haven't considered the wrong directory since I replace the old index file with the new one when I test the page.

12. falko

It's not related to your web site because your web site is in /srv/www/web2/web.

13. latcarf

latcarf New Member

I still have not figured out why the index.xhtml will not work. I have another box setup with Suse 10.0 w/o ISPConfig. I started it up and loaded the xhmtl pages to it and switched the vserver IP over and the pages still didn't work. The difference I noted though was that I did not get an error page, it was just simply blank. I entered the domain/index.xhtml and got this
    Code:
    XML Parsing Error: no element found
    Line Number 1, Column 1:
    I haven't had a chance to google it yet and try to figure out what it is telling me.

14. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Does your xhtml file work when you open the file locally from your harddisk with a webrrowser trough the file open dialog?

15. latcarf

latcarf New Member

Hello Till... yes it does.

added:

I have loaded up the xhtml pages and as usual locally they are working... www.thefractalfarm.net

Page is gray background, section with site name over background image, nav links, section with definitions of fractal and farm over background image, followed by 2-3 paragraphs of rambling...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006