YANQ (Yet Another New Question)

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by craig baker, May 23, 2014.

1. craig baker

craig baker Member HowtoForge Supporter

I've put up a server with linode and for some somewhat obscure reasons (ok, it seems scrapyd is only available as an ubuntu package) I'm curious about setting up 2 servers, one centos, one ubuntu 14, both managed with ISPConfig3 from my main centos server

some questions -
    1 - possible? is there a tutorial? I see on setting multiple servers but all with same linux flavor. any issues?
    1a - when will ISPCONFIG3 be available for windows?
    1b - just kidding.
    2 - can I have the second server act as second dns server and have ispconfig3 control both? (now I have to go to my backup dns and enter info there as well :()
    3 - you make a point about chrooting SSH how valuable do you consider that? I'm not likely to let others have ssh access - anyway.
    thanks. and KUTGW

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) Yes. But we dont have a tutorial for that. basically you can setup both servers as described in the perfect server guide and just install ispconfig on the second server in expert mode and choose to join the first server.
    1a) No ;)
    2) Yes, you van add secondary dns records from within the ispconfig controlpanel on the first server that get added on the second server. But you can not use automatic mirroring as this would mirror all services and not just dns and mirroring requires that both servers use the same linux distribution.
    3) if you dont have any clients that access your server by ssh, then you dont need chroots for ssh users. chroots for cronjobs make sense even in this scenario, as a hacker that was able to gain access to a website yould use that cronjob otherwise to break out of the website.

3. craig baker

another new question - again

I've turned on spam handling in ispconfig3 - what are the differences between the levels listed? I picked 'normal'. but 'wants more viruses'? really??

more importantly now the mail is being marked with ***SPAM*** - but its still in the inbox - cant I get it to move the SPAM to the junk folder?

I am using dovecot/amavisd and my spam is getting marked above.
    I see in the /var/vmail/domain/user/ folder there is a .sieve file with contents:
    --snip--
    require ["fileinto", "regex", "date", "relational", "vacation"];

keep;
    --snip--

***** SILLY RABBIT *****

In ISPCONFIG3 all needs be done is click on Emails click on EmailBox in question. click Mail Filtering and check 'move to Junk folder'.
    geesh

thanks

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, thats required often by larger companies. If you have an account that is used for legal communication, then yu can not risk that a email is blocked for viruses as a virus can be a false posizive.

The settings of the spamfilter policies are described in detail in the ispconfig manual. As you are a subscriber, you can download it for free here at howtoforge.

5. craig baker

slight change in direction

I'm going to setup another server at linode with centos 6.5 ala perfect server.
    but I want to have ispconfig3 manage both servers, and I want both servers to have identical users/trees/websites so one can act as a fail-over server.
    once I get the new server setup, what would be the best way to set this up?
    and if its easier to do it than to explain it to me what would you charge me for implementing this hair-brained scheme?