Zone File Import not working

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Adi_72, Mar 29, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Adi_72

Adi_72 New Member

I have installd ISPConfig 3.2.8p1 on new machine.
    I would like to import dns config from old machine by "Zone File Import" (file from /etc/bind)
    But I get following error in Chrome:
    jquery.min.js:2 Uncaught TypeError: e.indexOf is not a function
    at S.fn.init.S.fn.load (jquery.min.js:2:84932)
    at Object.submitUploadForm (ispconfig.js:226:19)
    at HTMLButtonElement.<anonymous> (ispconfig.js:662:55)
    at HTMLDocument.dispatch (jquery.min.js:2:43064)
    at HTMLDocument.v.handle (jquery.min.js:2:41048)

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Are you doing the zone import as instructed in ISPConfig Manual in chapter 4.8.1.2 Import Zone File?

3. Adi_72

Adi_72 New Member

I don't no. I cannot find this manual.
    The reason of new installation is, since begin of this year (?) I cannot enter new DNS entry anymore. I get those entry /etc/bind/pri.{domain}.err
    So I installed new Server from scratch. But here I get those error file by add new DNS Zone by wizard. I cannot see any error in the log files and I never had this behavior before.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

A reinstall is not necessary for such an error as it just means that BIND rejected the zone due to errors (typos, missing dots at the end of the FQDN or missing records) which can be debugged easily like this: https://www.faqforge.com/linux/debugging-ispconfig-3-server-actions-in-case-of-a-failure/

Probably an issue with the newer jquery version used in that ISPConfig version. I'll add an issue report so we can check that for the next release.

5. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

My signature has link to DNS setup tutorial, it has troubleshooting instructions. If you get .err files for the zones, tutorial shows how to find what is wrong with the zone.
    The manual is on ISPConfig documentation page. https://www.ispconfig.org/documentation/

6. NdK

NdK Member

I just hit the same issue, I think.
    Even trying to import the example zone from the manual:
    Code:
    $ORIGIN example.org.
    $TTL 4000
    @ IN SOA ns1.example.com. zonemaster.example.com. (
    2011101901 ; serial, todays date + todays serial #
    7200 ; refresh, seconds
    540 ; retry, seconds
    604800 ; expire, seconds
    86400 ) ; minimum, seconds
    ;
    example.org. A 1.2.3.4
    example.org. 3600 MX 10 mail.example.org.
    example.org. 3600 NS ns1.example.com.
    example.org. 3600 IN NS ns2.example.com.
    mail 3600 A 1.2.3.4
    www 3600 A 1.2.3.4
    example.org. TXT "v=spf1 a mx ptr -all"

When I click import zone button nothing happens, but if I have the web console open I see:
    Code:
    Uncaught TypeError: e.indexOf is not a function
        load jQuery
        submitUploadForm https://ispc:8080/themes/default/assets/javascripts/ispconfig.js:226
        <anonymous> https://ispc:8080/themes/default/assets/javascripts/ispconfig.js:662

Is there something I can fix or it's a regression?

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Are you using the latest ISPConfig version?

8. NdK

NdK Member

Yes, sorry for not specifying it.
    Code:
    Select update method (stable,nightly,git-develop) [stable]: 

There are no updates available for ISPConfig 3.2.8p1
    On another instance (still at 3.2.7p1) I could successfully import the sample file. So it seems it's a regression.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  9. NdK

NdK Member

@till Is there a way to workaround the issue? Maybe temporarily replacing some files with ones from the previous version?
    Tks.

10. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

11. NdK

NdK Member

I can confirm that the given patch seems to work: I've been able to import the zone file. Tks! Hope it gets included in the next release!

Edit: Seems I gloated too soon... Seems the autodetection of the domain from $ORIGIN line does not work. Maybe it's unrelated, but worth reporting.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  12. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Can you share your zone file?

13. NdK

NdK Member

Sorry, already deleted and replaced with an updated copy. I'll try testing again on non-production systems.

Th0m likes this.
  14. Robetus

Robetus Member

I'm using ISPConfig 3.2.9 on Ubuntu 22.04 and I've exported the bind zone from plesk and when I try to import the file into ISPC it does nothing, no error, no loading, nothing. The plesk bind file looks properly formatted. Any ideas?

15. Robetus

Robetus Member

I just did a test by copy and pasting the zone render from ISPC into text file and then I imported that text file into ISPC and it worked so I guess the plesk bind zone file is not formatted correctly. I've compared the files and there are some differences such as:

Plesk:
    @ IN A 192.16.8.01
    ISPC
    example.com 3600 A 192.16.8.01

Looks like the zone file for import needs to align with what ISPC wants.

16. Robetus

Robetus Member

I had to edit the plesk export quite a bit to get it working but I figured it out so it is possible. For anyone who wants to export from plesk 18+ get the bind files from /var/named/chroot/var/ don't use the plesk exporter, it doesn't export long TXT records properly.

Th0m likes this.