1 email working, but others arent?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by lipp9000, Jul 21, 2006.

1. lipp9000

lipp9000 New Member

I currently have 2 sites setup and they both have administrative users. The first site is my main site's domain which is also the main domain for my server. The second site is a site that I have created, it has a seperate domain.

At the moment email is working for my first site eg. [email protected] works fine sending and recieving, but the other user eg. [email protected] is sending and recieving locally, but not externally, ie. If I send an email from hotmail to [email protected], it is not recieving it, same if I use that email to send to hotmail, hotmail isn't recieving it.

[email protected] seems to be recieving from hotmail and everything so it is working fine.

Any suggestions as to why my second site's email is not working? Thanks in advance

2. fobicodam

fobicodam New Member

Do you have a reject mail from hotmail? it would help.

May be your dns server for your second domain is not pointing to your server.

If you send mail from domain1 to domain2, do you get it?

3. lipp9000

lipp9000 New Member

Don't know what a reject mail is? But i dont think hotmail has it.

Yes. I can send email from domain1 to domain2, and from domain 2 to domain1.

domain1 sends and recieves to anything,

domain2 cant send or recieve from external sources.

4. fobicodam

fobicodam New Member

When you send some mail to domain2 from hotmail (or anyplace) dont you receive any "Delivery failure" answer?

Cant you SEND from domain2 accounts?

5. lipp9000

lipp9000 New Member

I don't recieve any delivery failure notices from hotmail when i try send email to domain2.

If i use domain2 on outlook to try and send to the hotmail email i get this error:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: ewrgerg
    Sent: 21/07/2006 11:32 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'[email protected]' on 21/07/2006 11:32 PM
    554 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied

But domain2 can send locally to domain1

6. fobicodam

fobicodam New Member

Ok, click the "My outbound server needs authentication" in your account properties (Servers tab)

7. lipp9000

lipp9000 New Member

OK so ive ticked that in the domain2 account and said to use the same login settings as my incoming mail server, then gone and sent and email from hotmail to domain2 and its still not recieving it, if them gone and chosen "logon using:" and put the user and pw in again, still not recieving.

sorry if this is frustrating u, its frustrating me a lot as well!

8. fobicodam

fobicodam New Member

No problem, i forgot the receive problem.. je.. :D

Let see... Go to the Administrator tree -> Server -> Config -> EMail -> Check "Save Log"

Then, send some mail from hotmail to your domain2 account.

Wait 5 or 10 minutes. (you can use them to get putty or some similar SSH client software)

Go to /var/log open the maillog file using vi or similar (vi maillog) I personally recomend you to install MC (put yum install mc).

Look if you find the hotmail attempt to deliver de message, you can try searching for your domain2 email.

Let me know what happened.

9. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

It's a bad idea to test your email with Hotmail... They have a lot of anti-spam policies that can confuse and make you think something is wrong with your server. For example, the reason for your problem could be that your second domain doesn't havea proper PTR or SPF record. You should really test with a "real" ;) email account (not Hotmail).