2 machines, one mail server?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by kameleon1er, Oct 3, 2021.

1. kameleon1er

kameleon1er Member

Hello to all
    Before I go into a long configuration, I prefer to have the opinion of advanced users.

I have a machine configured with ISPConfig and postfix etc... as a mail server.

I have configured a second machine to use some software and not to overload my main machine with my websites.

On the second machine I have configured WeKan (kanban software) which needs a mail server to communicate with the outside world (notifications, registration confirmation...)

My question is; can I configure an MTA on this machine referring to my main machine (smtp / imap) or do I have to configure a complete and autonomous MTA?

Thanks to you.

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

I don't really understand your question, but you could configure a second server to use mail services on the first, or install them right on the second server. If you just want the second to relay outgoing mail through the first, that is quite simple, you set the first as the relayhost in the config of the second, and allow relaying in the config of the first (eg. you could add the ip if the second server to myneyworks).