A few easy questions on Ubuntu 7.10 Server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by RonH, Dec 21, 2007.

1. RonH

RonH New Member

Hello!

I'm trying to setup my own web server so that I can host my own website rather than paying monthly to use someone else's server.

I was using the Ubuntu Server 7.10 tutorial, but I ran into a couple (probably) simple problems:

1) Where it says server1.example.com, am I supposed to put chosenNameForServer.myDomain.com? Or do I have to put server1.example.com?
    2) I bought a domain name through godaddy, but what is my hostname supposed to be?
    3) Do I attach my server to the my domain (www.myDomainHere.com) name?

Sorry for all of these n00bish questions, but I've never set a server up, and though there was alot explained a lot in the tutorial, I'm still confused about a lot of stuff too.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  2. RonH

RonH New Member

Help? Anyone?

3. Leszek

Leszek Member

Hi,
    You should enter some name with a main domain name which You choose,for example the domain You bough.Later Your main website should be added with ISPConfig.You can enter a hostname,which will let You easily identify the machine later, for example s1,server1,ronh etc.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If you've bought a domain at GoDaddy, you can create a subdomain at GoDaddy (e.g. server1.yourdomain.com) and use that for your server.

5. nepgeek

nepgeek New Member

you need nameserver point your domain to your server