A lot of "The following packages have been kept back" after adding another php version

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ffab, May 1, 2018.

1. ffab

ffab New Member

Hi,

i'd followed this one, to install php 5.6 in ISPConfig 3.1.11 on Debian 9
    https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...fig-3-from-debian-packages-on-debian-8-and-9/
    and it's working !

But, has i ran an apt-get update and upgrade i notice that

Code:
    # apt-get upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree      
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following packages have been kept back:
      libapache2-mod-php libapache2-mod-php7.0 php-mysql php-xml php7.0-cgi php7.0-cli php7.0-common php7.0-curl php7.0-fpm php7.0-gd
      php7.0-imap php7.0-intl php7.0-json php7.0-mbstring php7.0-mcrypt php7.0-mysql php7.0-opcache php7.0-pspell php7.0-readline
      php7.0-recode php7.0-sqlite3 php7.0-tidy php7.0-xml php7.0-xmlrpc php7.0-zip
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 25 not upgraded.

I suppose theses packages won't update anymore...
    Can someone explain me why and how to get update again ?

Thanks,
    Fabrice

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

They are kept back because they depend on some package that is not installed and not marked for installation. The apt-get upgrade only upgrades already installed packages, it does not add any packages. Neither does it remove any package that is currently installed.
    Use command
    Code:
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    to get those kept back packages installed in one go. Or install them manually, cut and paste the list to apt-get install command.

3. ffab

ffab New Member

Thanks Taleman,
    When i did this (dist-upgrade) my "kept back" packages reinstall.
    The strange thing is that php 7.2 was installed too in the same time (did not ask for it)

When i'm adding it in ispconfig as other version and affect it to a website, i got 503 error in browser, and such a log
    Code:
    [proxy:error] [pid 3213] (2)No such file or directory: AH02454: FCGI: attempt to connect to Unix domain socket /var/lib/php7.0-fpm/web2.sock (*) failed
    [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 3213] [client my.ip.written.here:59595] AH01079: failed to make connection to backend: httpd-UDS

this error still references php 7.0 as it should by 7.2.
    I know this is an extra question, but if you had an extra hint, it would be great !

(edit : i just noticed, that 7.1 is also installed, seen it in /etc/php/7.1)
    Thanks,

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Read also the comments for the howto. Especially the comment by Jesse Norell.

5. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

It's normal for the latest php7.2 to be installed if you using sury.org php packages even though you didn't ask for it.

6. ffab

ffab New Member

thanks for pointing me to the right comment Taleman, and for your explanations ahrasis.
    I did understand what happend

Thanks again !