A Record - CNAME - DNS - Domain problem

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by dantewow, Dec 19, 2016.

1. dantewow

dantewow New Member

Hello.
    I have a small problem. I am using a personal webhosting on my home network with ISPCONFIG3 and my problem is with the domain name.
    My network doesn't have a static IP only dinamic IP but in exchance of this my ISP provides me with a static DNS. I am trying to make the config on my domain on Godaddy to use this domain, w w w . m y d o m a i n . c o m using the DNS record ( CNAME - m y . d o m a i n . d n s ) and it works, but it only works if you ar using the w w w . m y d o m a i n . c o m .. if you ar going to use h t t p : / / m y d o m a i n . c o m or m y d o m a i n . c o m in ur link bar it will not work because the A RECORD is not set and pointed to my hosting IP ( 192.168.0.10 for example ). I cannot set the A Record on the domain settings cause my IP is not a static one and my question is, is there any solution to fix this ? Can i get some help with the settings, or what is the easy way ( with out getting a static IP cause its very expensiv to get that ). Thank you in advance and sorry for my english.
    My op sistem - Ubuntu LTS 16.04
    Platform for webhosting - ISPConfig 3.

Thank you in advance.

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

(1) Making spaces between a d o m a i n n a m e makes it harder to read. Better to use nothing at all or make it italic or something.

(2) What you could do is setup dyndns (there's multiple providers, you can check which your router supports by default). If your router supports dyndns then you could get a domain like xxxxxx.dyndns.net. You'd have to make an account at dyn.com for this and then you get credentials. You can fill this in your router and then your router will update your IP with dyn.com when it changes. There can be delay of about 5 minute but that shouldn't matter too much.

Once you set that up, you can point your whole domain as cname to your dyndns address. That way, all should be resolved properly.

As said, your router propbably support multiple different dyn dns providers. So best to just use one your router supports natively.

3. dantewow

dantewow New Member

Thank you for you'r reply.
    1. Yes, you ar right about space betwin w w w its rly hard to read but i wasn't able to post links on forum sorry.
    2. My ISP allready providing me with a DNS . i dont need to use dyndns to set up the dns on my network.
    3. The problem is that i cannot access my website with out the extension www. only with www. i can access the site. And this problem is from Domain settings ( goddady ).

4. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

well, we'd need to know the domain name to check the zone info.