A way to test site before going live

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by wxman, Nov 8, 2007.

1. wxman

wxman New Member

I was wondering if there was a way to test a site before adding the DNS records? I tried adding a new site, but didn't check the Create DNS records box. I then added the admin user, and tried to get to the default index page using my local IP address in browser, but I can't figure out the right way to address it, if there is one. I don't want to do the trick where you edit the host file on my Windows computer because the same URL is my current live site. That would start to get confusing.

The reason for all this is I'm moving from a current server that's live, to a new one here. I want to set up the site on the new server, but I need to test all the functions before I "go live" again.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  2. wpwood3

wpwood3 New Member

Here's what I did...

I just went through this when I moved to a new server last week.

What I did was use 2 desktop PC's. One setup with a normal Hosts file and the other with a modified hosts file so I could see my new server.
    I installed TightVNC remote desktop server on the second PC so I could control both PC's from the 1st PC. I installed TightVNC client on the first PC.

It worked great.
    Be sure to also install DFMirage on the 2nd PC so that scrolling is smooth.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

4. wxman

wxman New Member

This sounds good, except I've used up my current supply of PC's.

Falco:
    I hadn't realized I could do that. Can I trick it into letting me see the site from both a local, and external connection?

5. falko

If you're using an external connection, you must forward port 53 (TCP and UDP) from your router to the DNS server and tell your PC to use the router's public IP address as the first nameserver.

6. wxman

wxman New Member

That makes sense. But doesn't that leave it open for anyone to get in if they know the local IP address?

7. falko

Yes, that's right.

8. wxman

wxman New Member

I guess I'll just stick to testing it when I'm connected local only.

9. Rixcz

Rixcz New Member

If I can test site before moving, I use this:

open "hosts" at
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

and add:
    IP www.domain.com

10. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

Hello Rixcz.
    wxman does not want to do this (he explained why in his 1st post)

11. wxman

wxman New Member

What I've ended up doing is using the edit host file on only one computer here. That way I just have to remember to fix just the one, once I go live with the new server. I still wish there was a way to work on it away from the local network, but this will have to do.