Adding a registered domain as a co-domain

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by whitty, May 16, 2006.

1. whitty

whitty New Member

Basically, i want do do the simplest thing with a fresh, new domain as possible - add it so I can use it, as though i were a user, and creat subdomains and mail accounts and such.

the setup:

I have a dyndns account, me.dyndns.org. me.dyndns.org is updated automatically by my router to its ip address. me.dyndns.org is set up with wildcards, so anything.me.dyndns.org goes to the same spot, to be handled by virtual hosts set up by ispconfig, all dandily working right now. Now, immagine that I am a simple user.

I just registered me.com with 1and1, for example, and I want to set its nameservers to my ispconfig account's so I can use ispconfig to admin it, and add subdomains and mail users and all that jazz, just like i'd do with any other accounts.

questions are, what nameservers do I point to on the 1and1 side, and what do I do to enable this sort of transaction on the ispconfig side?

I think that'll be the last question for the night! Thanks a lot!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Generally you have two options:

1) The easiest option is to use the nameservers from 1&1 and just create A and MX records that point to your server.

2) If you want to use your server to manage the DNS-Records, create a new Master DNS-Record in in the ISPConfig DNS-Manager, add A and MX-Records to this Master DNS-Record. As nameserver you can use the generic domain of your server pXXXXXX.pureserver.info.

3. whitty

whitty New Member

So, this is what I had: It's actually an afraid.org domain (eg me.us.to is a subdomaino of .us.to that, on the service end of afraid.org can be manipulated like a top level domain, good enough for me for now), but with them, it's configured as a nameserver record pointing to web1.myaddy.dyndns.org: Everything set there. The problem is my own server's setup. when I do a dns auth trace with afraid.org's tool, it does report that the domain is ending at the proper and valid nameserver, web1.me.dyndns.org, but that nameserver is not handling it correctly in resolving it. When I use one of the 2 million host-to-ip tools online, it shows that it's referring to 192.168.1.2 - my (albeit correct) local ip. Here are my master dns screens:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, I assume that if i change 192.168.1.2 on that main page to the proper public ip, it will be routed correctly, then handled by the records on the third page. When I tried this, it didn't work, but I have read dns takes a while to propogate. Chalking this failure up to not giving it time, I am still left with the problem that that public ip, while relatively static, WILL eventually change. I suppose I could just set up some sort of superfluous system to monitor when it did and change it manually, but is there any way to put a hostname in there (eg my .dyndns.org entry) instead of a raw IP? that'd be super duper!

Thanks for the replies.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You must use your public IP address for all records.

That's what CNAME records are for. But take care: you cannot use CNAME records for MX records. Have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto

5. whitty

whitty New Member

aren't cname records host->host? and I mean that I want to put a hostname in the IP field of that first screen up there, since my IP may change where the hostname is static.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

7. whitty

whitty New Member

So I have all the proper ip's and records, as far as I can see. any suggestions on how to trace the issue?

And falko, you're still not getting me - i mean the first screen - the domain screen - where it needs an ip so it knows where to resolve to, not the actuall records that add subdomains (aka cname, a, and all the others on the "records" screen.)

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you changed the the IP on the first screen to your external IP address?