adding folder for ftp access

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by reddog, Jun 6, 2006.

1. reddog

reddog New Member

hello everyone!

i recently setup a server using the perfet setup for suse10. Everything went great ! except ftp seems a bit wierd. i think it may be having issues with passive mode or something, but right now it seems managable.

I have also installed a counter strike source server. My question is how do i make the srcds (counter strike directory) folder available for access via ftp. Or, where would i move the srcds folder to? This folder would need to be writable, as well as being able to delete any folders or files no longer needed within srcds.

i have one virtual host setup, and that is my default place for managing my site and files. Hope i have provided enough info, if not please let me know, i would be happy to post more.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The perfect setup configures FTP with system users. If you add a new linux user where you set the home directory of the user to your counter strike directory, this user will be able to login with FTP to that directory.

If the user shall not get shell access, you may want to set the shell for the user to /bin/false

3. reddog

reddog New Member

thank you Till, that will work like a charm. i got the user created, and im able to log into the users account via ftp:) . My only issue now is, i already downloaded the CS:Source files into another linux users account. Im sure i can just:

#mv /home/my-user/srcds_l /home/mycssuser/

and then change ownership:

#chown -R user:group /home/mycssuser/srcds_l

^^would that be the correct way? and after the ownership change i think i need to change permissions also. Is that a correct assumption?

please pardon my NEWBNESS:D (ahh i hate the word newb) :) . and thank you for your help !!

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes.

Not necessarily. The permissions don't change if you mv the file and do a chown. If the permissions were right before these operations, they should be ok now. :)

5. reddog

reddog New Member

thank you falko, and till, everything worked out sweet !!

just wanted to take a second to add, this is one of the few forums where i have been to get help, and actually get good knowledgable help. It seems as though the moderators do an excellent job of trying to answer as many questions as they can, EVERYDAY !! Nice job !:)

Red