Adding mail server to a previously installed server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by kaostc, Jan 11, 2023.

1. kaostc

kaostc Member

I installed ISPConfig with --nomail --nomailman options.
    Now I want to send recovery emails for users, as needed. Which brings me to the first question. It is necessary to install the full mail server to achieve this?
    Assuming that the answer is yes, how can I add mail server to a previously installed server with --nomail --nomailman?
    I tried going to system services and adding mail server, but that seems to not have installed the packages. So I tried to reconfigure with ispconfig_update.sh --force, with no result. The packages doesn't seem to be installed, as, i.e., apt-cache policy courier-base returns no installed version.
    So, what is the correct way to add a new service (as mail server) to ispconfig server?
    Thanks a lot for your answers.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You do not have to configure mail services in ISPConfig to send recovery emails. You just have to install a minimal postfix system, plus take care not to tell ISPConfig during the update to configure email and do not enable email under system > services. And ISPConfig doe snot use courier anymore since a very long time, that#s why you never find courier on any recent system.

So all you have to do is to run:

apt install postfix

3. kaostc

kaostc Member

Thanks a lot! It worked.
    Anyway, for further configurations... what is the correct way of adding a previously not installled service (i.e. mail)
    Thanks.

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Till told you to "do not enable email under system > services. ", but if you want to do it it is done, like Till wrote, in ISPConfig panel System > Server Services.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You would have to install all required software packages e.g. by looking them up from one of the manual perfect server guides and then do an ispconfig update and let it reconfigure services and choose to enable that services when the updater asks you.

ahrasis likes this.
  6. kaostc

kaostc Member

Thanks @Taleman, with "further configurations" I meant "in case one day I need to add a not previously installed service".
    Thanks @till, I will check the manual in case I need to add mail or another service in the future. So, the procedure would be:
    1.-Locate the suitable packages and install them from a ssh session.
    2.-Run ispconfig_update from a ssh session (with --force in case I have the last version of ISPConfig)
    3.-¿Activate the service in System->Services? (in case it is not activated by ispconfig_update.
    Thanks a lot, guys.