Admin interface do not works anymore after ispconfig 3.15 upgrade

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by christian.perego, Nov 13, 2020.

1. christian.perego

christian.perego Member HowtoForge Supporter

Here you can fine my conf file you requested, I will look at the php log file asap.

2. christian.perego

I have no php errors in the log file. It seems an apache module problem .

3. christian.perego

Hi to everyone.
    I finally found the solution. I make these two steps:
    1- Followed this tutorial that modified the fcgi config:
    https://www.server-world.info/en/note?os=Debian_9&p=httpd&f=13
    2- Once finished the first step it allow me to verify that the problem was that the apache didn't have the right to acces the ispconfig files. The reason was that the module libapache2-mpm-itk was missing.
    I install it and everuthing magically starts working.
    Probably the first step was not strictly necessary, but it was important for me to find the real problem. Without that steps nothing was written in the log files and I couldn't find the real problem.
    Last but not least: The installation of this module is not mentioned in the "perfect server guide for Debian 9"

Many thanks for your time, for your kind help, and for developing this magic project!

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thank you for your reply and kind words. We might have to add that - @till could you verify?

5. christian.perego

Another thing that may be useful for someone else is that some part of the ISPCONFIG interface didn't works correctly, because apache coudn't write in this folder /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/lib/classes/IDS/../../../temp I changed the right to 777 and everything works. Now is enough for me;)Do you think I may have some future problem leaving that rights to 777? thanks a lot

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Apache mpm-itk is an old fallback that is not actively used anymore, so it's not missing as it shall not be installed on an ispconfig server and its support will get removed soon anyway. So the original fcgi problem is not fixed yet, he just installed a different apache mpm which consumes much more memory and is, therefore, slower for all websites than the original setup. I highly recommend fixing the original issue.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread and have not seen any confirmation that this has been done yet: rerun all commands from apache and php install sections of the perfect server guide again and then rerun an ispconfig update. I just can find that you did the ispconfig update, but that's not enough to fix an issue where software is missing.

And undo the installation of the mpm-itk module and undo the fcgi changes you made to get yours etup compatible with ISPConfig again.

7. christian.perego

Hi Till,
    First of all I run all the commands of the Apache and php install sections of the perfect server guide before update Ispconfig.
    If the problem is not the mpm-itk package, How Apache can switch the user to access files on the Ispconfig directory with the correct rights?
    Because the problem is exactly in that point.

8. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Is suexec turned on in website settings?

9. christian.perego

Where should it be?

10. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

11. christian.perego

But my problem is on the ISPCONFIG interface itself;) Not on a site hosted on that server.

12. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

By using suexec.

suexec is installed and enabled in the perfect server instructions. you should double-check that.

13. christian.perego

I've doubled check and the suexec apache module is installed and enabled in Apache like suggested in the guide.
    Now, how can I verify that the Virtual server is using the suexec feature?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020