After migrate from debian 10 to 11 : i can't use an email that existing in mailing list ?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ledufakademy, Mar 23, 2022.

1. ledufakademy

ledufakademy Member

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Try Internet Search Engines with
    Code:
    site:howtoforge.com solve e-mail issues
    Check first with
    Code:
    host domain.fr
    what it says about "mail is handled by", is it going to the e-mail server you want? Then check e-mail logs on sending server and receiving server.

3. ledufakademy

ledufakademy Member

hello Talleman.
    just arriving on mail2 server ... but not being passed to final dest. on mail1 server ...

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

You could try adding a transport for [email protected] under Email Routing, enter [email protected] as the domain, type smtp and the destination is your mail1 server hostname or ip.

5. ledufakademy

ledufakademy Member

but why ?
    we create another alias to be routed to : [email protected]
    and it's working perfectly.
    Important i edit first message for domain

6. ledufakademy

ledufakademy Member

real sample : rspamd view (working alias !)
    on mail server 2 :
    on mail server 1 :
    When doing the same thing with an email that was used in old mailman2 , as mailinglist ... this email is not working, i just can see it on mail 2 server ... but not appearing in mail1 postfix log ...
    And seeing a lot of log.err :
    this is a great problem.

7. ledufakademy

ledufakademy Member

i edit /etc/postfix/main.cf in order to remove all mailman hash entry.
    it's seems to work,but is there other thing to do ?

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no mailman 2 package available for Debian 11, not sure if the old package from Debian 10 still works after a dist upgrade or not.

9. ledufakademy

ledufakademy Member

hello till,
    Obviously it does not work.
    i know that (great surprised after migration ) but ... (and need to found urgently another solution for mailing list : we choose Discourse.)
    "Perfect server ..." config in ou mail server , old ... make mail server driven by ispconfig not working perfectly : i need to purge manually mailman part.
    that 's fact.

bye

10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

As far as I see, you did not migrate from Debian 10 to 11, what you did is that you upgraded from Debian 10 to 11 which is called a distribution upgrade. Migration and upgrade are not the same. Migration means that you have a fresh installed Debian 11 server that you move data from the old server to while upgrading means that you install updates of the OS in place (which might leave remnants of the old version in place). I'm not aware that there are any issues with a new Debian 11 install with mailman, my systems here are working fine, so there are no issues with migrations, there might be problems with dist upgrades though

Regarding the distribution upgrade that you made, there are probably still parts of mailman installed from Debian 10 which are not fully working anymore and that's why the ISPConfig updater still left the config for it in place as it found an installed mailman version on your server. By removing mailman with apt and then doing an ISPConfig update, the issue should be fixed.

You can verify if mailman is installed or not by running the command:

which mailman
    which mmsitepass

as long as one of these two commands returns a program path, mailman is still installed and gets configured.

ledufakademy likes this.
  11. ledufakademy

ledufakademy Member

exactly, that was an upgrade (sorry for bad term/word).

12. Jesse Norell

You are correct, the transport I mentioned isn't needed; I misunderstood the setup (prior to you editing the original post to correct the domain in use).

ledufakademy likes this.
  13. ledufakademy

ledufakademy Member

yep , this is my fault.

14. Jesse Norell

@ledufakademy did you run the commands @till mentioned to see if you still have mailman installed on your upgraded system?
    If that is the issue, and you just need to remove the packages and reconfigure services to fix it, please mention that here for others who might run into the same situation.

15. ledufakademy

ledufakademy Member

juts do that : "i edit /etc/postfix/main.cf in order to remove all mailman hash entry."
    then reload postfix and dovecot

Note : yes i verify @till advices, mailman2 was not installed (nor mailman3)

16. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

these settings will come back when upgrading ISPConfig. See https://git.ispconfig.org/ispconfig/ispconfig3/-/issues/6314

ledufakademy likes this.
  17. pzajda

pzajda Member HowtoForge Supporter

A little bit offtopic but mailman2 can be installed on Debian 11 by using Buster packages.
    It is not really clean but it works. And because Buster is LTS packages are still maintained for security.
    Python2 has to be installed (package is available on Bullseye) and you have to download mailman2 and python-dnspython from snapshot.debian.org and you can use mailman on Bullseye.