Alias e-mail addresses

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by radioguy, Aug 15, 2005.

1. radioguy

radioguy New Member

I have setup a DNS server outside the firewall that all websites point to from registrar. I then have all MX records pointing to one IP behind my firwall for six sites. This is an ISPConfig address. My question is: Can ISP Config be set up to deliver all mail, for multiple sites incoming on one IP, to each respected mail box? ie mail delivered to either [email protected] or joe@example 2.com, would deliver to the same mail box, web1_joe. I'm trying come up with a way to prevend users of multiple domains from needing to manage multiple accounts with an e-mail client. I did this in the past with virtual user table. I looked like this.

[email protected] web1_joe
    joe@example 2.com web1_joe

Will I break ISPConfig if I do this above the line that says:

#### MAKE MANUAL ENTRIES BELOW THIS LINE! ####

What is the best way to handle this if it is possible. Many thanks for your help.

2. radioguy

radioguy New Member

I got it figured out

It was easy using local-host-names and virtusertable. I just had to think it through.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You will not break ISPConfig, but ISPConfig will overwrite your changes if you make them above the mentioned line... :p

5. bingnet

bingnet New Member

Manually import /etc/aliases to virtusertable

I have a large /etc/aliases file that I would like to use with ISPconfig. What's the best way to do this?
    I commented in /etc/postfix/main.cf to force postfix to use /etc/aliases:
    # virtual_alias_domains = example.com
    # virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtusertable

Aliases work fine, but I'm unsure of what impact this has on ISPconfig. Just breaks aliases fields in ISPconfig?

Did this also break PHP in virtual domains? I'm getting this when I goto http://virtualdomain.com/~virtualuser and call example.php from a form action.

Internal Server Error
    File "/var/www/web5/user/virtualuser/web/example.php" is not in document root of Vhost "/var/www/web5/web"
    suPHP 0.6.1

Thank you!
    Ken in Portland

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig doesn't use /etc/aliases at all.
    Please run
    Code:
    postconf -e 'alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases'
    postconf -e 'alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases'
    postconf -e 'mydestination = /etc/postfix/local-host-names'
    postconf -e 'virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtusertable'
    /etc/init.d/postfix restart
    PHP and Perl don't work in a user's web site, only in the main web site.

7. bingnet

bingnet New Member

OK, and I do understand that I can add aliases manually to virtusertable. What is the syntax there for mailing lists that represent real users but are not users themselves? Would I have to access each user profile which should be a member of a list and enter the name of the list as an alias?

That explains it.

Really, thanks.