Alias for multiple users

Discussion in 'General' started by erk, Nov 16, 2005.

1. erk

erk New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi!

I need to have email aliases that lets several people get copies of the sam mail, eg. [email protected] is an alias for [email protected] and [email protected].
    When adding an alias in the usual Users&Email->Advanced settings ISPC will not allow an alias to be added to steve if the alias is already added to joe.

Is there a workaround or should this be done in a different way? I imagine I could create a separate account that has its mail forwarded to both joe and steve. This will however mess up things since it will steal one user from the site when all I need is an alias.

Tips anyone?

//Erk

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. erk

Right, but as I said this sort of steals a mailbox from the site.
    The limit you set on a site is in number of mailboxes which I, and probably most people, interpret as the number of real life users you get with your site.
    Using a mailbox to facilitate an alias that is forwarded to more than one person will mean that if cusomer X has a site with 5 mailboxes and 5 users and need to set up an alias for [email protected] they will need to raise the limit on the number of mailboxes that is allowed. This is of course not something the customer can do themselves which means more support for me.
    Aliases that are commonly used are sales@ info@ support@ webmaster@ abuse@ postmaster@. It is not uncommon that these types of addresses send mail to more than one account. If more than one person is to receive mail for each of those addresses we need 6 accounts with forwards set just for these basic addresses.

In ISPC today there is only the aliases as alternate names for an account. What is really needed is to be able to set up an alias that you can add recipients (accounts) to.

//Erk

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig supports aliases and ISPConfig supports multiple forwards for each account. But not aliases that sends to more then one site.

ISPConfig is OpenSource, you are free to develop features you are missing :)

5. erk

:) Right.
    It's open source but I'm not yet familiar enough with it to start adding such features. I might do it in a while but I need to get a better grip on the whole project first. In the mean time I'll be subitting some updated swedish languge files soon.

//Erk