amavis config breaks // moving from debian sarge to lenny

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by vmos, Sep 17, 2010.

1. vmos

vmos Member

Good morning, I upgraded one of our anti-spam servers from debian sarge to etch and then lenny (long overdue, I know)

This has had the effect of scuppering the amavis installation as between sarge and etch, amavis moved from using a monolithic config file to using a config directory.

I had to uninstall amavis and put it back again. I've got the old config saved but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it.

Does anyone have any advice or can anyone point me to a guide on how to translate the old config file into the new format?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

The format hasn't changed; only the big amavisd configuration file was split up in multiple smaller files, so the configuration is still the same, but you have to modify multiple files.

3. vmos

vmos Member

that's what I'm trying to figure out, what bits go in what files? does it matter? can I make up my own?

specifically, I'm concentrating on the whitelisting and blacklisting per domain (IE, [email protected] doesn't want any mail from hotmail.com tagged as spam but [email protected] doesn't want anything from hotmail and so forth)

I think the setup we have is a bit wierd, all the googling I've done suggests that this sort of thing is usually done by spamassassin, these servers have spamassassin installed but it seems to be disabled and all the black/whitelisting is in the amavisd.conf

4. vmos

vmos Member

I created seperate files for the whitelist and blacklist and it seems to be working, I'm not quite sure where I was going wrong previously

thanks