Amavisd Tagging/Quarantine

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by zuzuzzzip, Jun 19, 2014.

1. zuzuzzzip

zuzuzzzip New Member

We have a setup of ISPConfig 3.0.5.2 on Debian 6.

We are running this for quite some time now and are quite familiar with the product.

However spam filtering seems a bit of a grey area.
    The default settings are in place and (nearly) everyone is on the "Normal" policy.

I have the impression that mails are not getting tagged and it seems that there is no quarantine configured by default?

If I read the amavisd-new documentation correctly, the spam messages should be quarantined automatically at the "kill level".
    But under /var/lib/amavisd/ I can only see virusmails/ ?

tl;dr some customers are not receiving important mail, but it seems I cannot release them for quarantine or point them to look in their Junk folder ...

2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Please refer the thread, it might be useful for you.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No. This does not apply to the ispconfig setup.

The ispconfig "normal" filter level is not quarantining any spam emails, it is just marking them in the header and subject to ensure that all emails get delivered and the client can then decide himself to e.g. automatically filter them in his email client or to use the "move spam emails to junk folder" function in ispconfig for his mailbox to move the emails into the junk folder of his imap account. So if your clients did not receive some emails, then they were not quarantined on your server (at least if you havent altered the spamfilter settings of ispconfig on your own). It might be that the email program that your client uses has quarantined them locally on his desktop.

4. zuzuzzzip

zuzuzzzip New Member

I already skimmed trhough this thread but could not find a definitive answer as to how ISPConfig's amavisd-new configuration is set up opposed to the shipped version.

Thanks Till, this provides some clarity.
    But what happens when the kill level is reached? Customers are saying they did not receive mail (in this case a simple twitter password reset), and the user is tech-savvy enough to check his Junk. I will request him to check again in any case. I'll post here after the check.

In the meantime, as a side-question:
    What is the recommended way to set up a spam quarantin with ISPConfig?
    I can see in the interface that it can be forwarded to an e-mail address/mailbox. But I think it would be more desireable to store these on disk and have a kind of "end-user quarantine" interface. Are there technologies like this that integrate well with ISPConfig?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The killlevel does what the name imposes, it kills (deletes) the email. The kill level is set so high that a normal mail would never reach this level.

I explained that above already. Enable the checkbox "move junk to spam folder" in the mailbox settings. This enables qurantining and provides the end user a direct interface to axxess his quarantine throughhis memail client and even webmail.