Another Problem: Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (+ SMTP

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by bluegrass, Feb 7, 2006.

1. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can tell everyone about this web site. :)
    And of course, if you have a tutorial about a Linux topic, you can post it on HowtoForge, and you can try to help others in this forum. :)
    If lots of people do this, then there will be lots of stuff to come from this site... :)

2. bluegrass

bluegrass New Member

Yes, I already shared this site with our university faculties who are teaching networking and linux os. And also to other students and other people who ask me anything bout linux os.

I have already setup the server using the one mentioned on the tutorial on the production side using a class 'a' private ip and resides behind a firewall, antivirus and antispam "fortinet fortigate" hardware and it is running smooth. I have also installed my redundant web server on it, and the "chroot ssh". Now, I am trying to install the "Virtual Hosting With PureFTPd...", which I have a query...

I installed the Virtual Hosting on a test environment and i never encountered an error, so i decided to install it to the production server (mentioned above). But when I installed pure-ftpd-mysql, i accidentally chose 'inetd' instead of 'standalone' when i was ask whether to run the server on what environment. Nevertheless, i continued the process, and thinking of just search for the configuration file and change it there manually. After the installation of pure-ftpd-mysql, i searched for the configuration file, which i found one /etc/default/pure-ftpd-common:
    Code:
    # Configuration for pure-ftpd
    # (this file is sourced by /bin/sh, edit accordingly)

# STANDALONE_OR_INETD: valid values are "standalone" and "inetd".
    # Any change here overrides the setting in debconf.
    # STANDALONE_OR_INETD=standalone
    STANDALONE_OR_INETD=standalone

# UPLOADSCRIPT: if this is set and the daemon is run in standalone mode,
    # pure-uploadscript will also be run to spawn the program given below
    # for handling uploads. see /usr/share/doc/pure-ftpd/README.gz or
    # pure-uploadscript(8)

# example: UPLOADSCRIPT=/usr/local/sbin/uploadhandler.pl
    UPLOADSCRIPT=

# if set, pure-uploadscript will spawn $UPLOADSCRIPT running as the
    # given uid and gid
    UPLOADUID=
    UPLOADGID=

I changed 'inetd' to 'standalone', then i proceeded with the rest of the configuration. Afterwhich i tested FTP'ing from a client workstation, but I get this message:
    Code:
    Can't exec "/usr/sbin/pure-ftpd": No such file or directory at /usr/sbin/pure-ftpd-wrapper line 174.

I then un-install the pure-ftpd:
    Code:
    apt-get remove pure-ftpd-**
    apt-get clean pure-ftpd-**
    apt-get autoclean pure-ftpd-**

I used the wildcards, so that all pure-ftpd files will be removed. I also deleted all other files and directories with pure-ftpd-** manually.

After this, i re-installed pure-ftpd-mysql. On the process of re-installing, I was never ask on what environment the pure-ftpd would run, and whether pure-ftpwho should be installed using root setuid. I continued on with the tutorial and tested ftp'ing, but still I get the same error as that mentioned above... I don't know, what else should I do....

hope you can help me out on this again....

thanks in advance.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Please run
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure pure-ftpd

4. bluegrass

bluegrass New Member

Thanks again, falko.. but i tried it, but for clarifications the exact code would be:
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure pure-ftpd-common
    :)

5. bluegrass

bluegrass New Member

I guess I can now say that this thread is closed.

The Mail Server is now up and running. SpamAssassin and Amavis is really working great, I have lessen the spam mails to my users.

Thanks for the great tutorial. The same server was also configured with:
    1. Virtual Hosting with PureFTPd and MySQL (Incl. Quota And Bandwidth Management)
    2. Chrooted SSH