Apache2 and DNS Made Easy

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by browngb, Jul 26, 2006.

1. browngb

browngb New Member

I have an issue that's plagued me for awhile now. I have set up two domains (www.preventenance.com and www.brojoh.com) in which I use DNS Made Easy to point to my server. My ISP (Verizon FIOS) blocks port 80, so I have to use HTTP Redirect to change the port to 8080. From what I can tell, this is what happens:

1) User types www.brojoh.com into the browser
    2) DNS Made Easy uses a temp redirect in the header to point the user to brojoh.com:8080
    3) My server recognizes the visitor, but does not put them in the /brojoh/ folder, it puts then in '/' instead (same for preventenance)

I can't tell if this is an issue with the way DNS Made Easy redirects the user, or if I've configured Apache wrong somehow. The only reason I suspect Apache is the phpinfo() function states that my $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] is /var/www/ instead of /var/www/brojoh/

If anyone can give me a hand, I'd really appreciate it.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Is this your server's public IP address? 205.234.170.164

3. browngb

browngb New Member

My IP address on the server is 71.127.68.41 (currently, it's a dynamic IP). If you were trying to connect to it a bit ago, it was down over night (had to switch everything to a different computer). It's all back up again with the same problem.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Then the problem is that your domains are being redirected instead of pointing directly to your IP address.

5. browngb

browngb New Member

Ok, apparently there's no way I can get multiple domains working on a dynamic ip with port 80 blocked. Time to get real internet service I suppose. Thanks for your help.