auto start script

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by linuxuser1, Apr 11, 2006.

1. linuxuser1

linuxuser1 New Member

Hi

How to i make this to start automatically
    5 * * * * /opt/jdk1.5.0_06/bin/java -jar /path/to/jwwim_server_sql2.jar localhost web1_db4 PASSWORD 5190 -l

Thanks.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Do you want to have this as a cron job? Then run
    Code:
    crontab -e
    and enter that line there.

3. Aiken

Aiken New Member

You realise that will run at 5 past every hour?

If you mean you want it to start when the box is restarted then some versions of cron (such as Redhat) support @reboot so your crontab entry would be
    @reboot /opt/jdk1.5.0_06/bin/java -jar /path/to/jwwim_server_sql2.jar localhost web1_db4 PASSWORD 5190 -l

4. falko

If you want to start it at boot time, you simply create a script like /etc/init.d/jwwim_server_sql2:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    /opt/jdk1.5.0_06/bin/java -jar /path/to/jwwim_server_sql2.jar localhost web1_db4 PASSWORD 5190 -l
    Then run
    Code:
    chmod 755 /etc/init.d/jwwim_server_sql2
    and create the necessary system startup links. Depending on your distribution you can do it with chkconfig (RedHat, Fedora, CentOS, Mandriva, SuSE) or update-rc.d (Debian, Ubuntu).

5. reddog

reddog New Member

Can any program be made to run at startup? for example: a teamspeak server, and a counter strike server. As long as i use the startup commands for the respective servers, in the code?

6. falko

Yes, of course. :)

7. atrias

atrias New Member

will the above run the commands as root ?
    is there a way to create a delay ?
    i need to start 2 programs and the first must be already started when the second starts.
    i hope this works for centos 5 !

8. falko

Yes.

You can either use the sleep command (see
    Code:
    man sleep
    ), or create two cron jobs where the second one is executed after the first one.