Backup folder permission incorrect for ftp user

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by babydunk, Sep 25, 2016.

1. babydunk

babydunk Member

Hello

Everytime a backup is selected for download, no mater the site. when ftp in to download the backup . user always gets a permissions error. this happens on 3.1rc1 and 3.1rc2.

Is anyone else having this problem and how can i fix it ? other than chown everytime a backup needs downloaded.

pure-ftpd is set to VIRTUALCHROOT=true

cheers
    Chris

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please post a 'ls -la' from within the backup folder of the website after the backup was made available.

3. babydunk

babydunk Member

Hi Till
    as you requested :)

The user is always set to root when new backup is set for download.

Thanks for the help in advance
    Chris

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Ik, I see the problem. Hmm, there is no really good solution. The reason for using the user root is to ensure that the backup is not part of the website quota, we ca not give the client group read permissions as this would allow attacks on the backup data. At the end, the only solution will be to change the user to the web user even if the backup is then part of the quota.

5. babydunk

babydunk Member

i am not worried about the quota side of things just as long as it is secure. each account has been given adequate amount of storage and if the account is using the space it should only be but right it comes of their quota.

i would be happy with that solution :D

Thanks Till ;)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  6. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

A solution might be to put the backup files in a directory with mode 500 owned by the correct web# user, while the backup files are owned by root, group client# (as above) and group read-able. It might be that the backup files should be created outside that directory, then do a quick/temporary chmod before and after moving them.

7. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I think, the backups ready for download should be a part of the website-quota. Personally, i don't like the idea, that a client can have unlimited backups stored in the backup-folder of his website.