Backup Script now Failing

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by atjensen11, Jan 17, 2010.

1. atjensen11

atjensen11 New Member

Hello,

I have been running a backup script. The link to the full script is here.

I use the rdiff-backup option in the script. The script has been working fine until a few nights ago. I was doing general maintenance on the server. I performed an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. The other task I did was add a RAID 5 array to the server. I can't foresee the impact either of these would have on the backup script.

In any event, here is the error message I receive from one of the backups.

Code:
    xenBackup: backing up domain: test.example.com
    xenBackup: Mounting /dev/data/test.example.com-files read-only
    xenBackup: backing up domain test.example.com to /mnt/wd/backup/test.example.com.rdiff-backup.mirror/home/user/files using rdiff-backup
    Exception '[Errno 95] Operation not supported: '/mnt/wd/backup/test.example.com.rdiff-backup.mirror/home/user/files/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.0'' raised of class '<type 'exceptions.OSError'>':
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 304, in error_check_Main
        try: Main(arglist)
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 324, in Main
        take_action(rps)
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 280, in take_action
        elif action == "backup": Backup(rps[0], rps[1])
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 334, in Backup
        rpout.conn.fs_abilities.backup_set_globals(rpin, force)
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py", line 919, in backup_set_globals
        dest_fsa = FSAbilities('destination').init_readwrite(Globals.rbdir)
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py", line 152, in init_readwrite
        subdir.mkdir()
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/rpath.py", line 983, in mkdir
        self.conn.os.mkdir(self.path)

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 30, in <module>
        rdiff_backup.Main.error_check_Main(sys.argv[1:])
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 304, in error_check_Main
        try: Main(arglist)
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 324, in Main
        take_action(rps)
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 280, in take_action
        elif action == "backup": Backup(rps[0], rps[1])
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 334, in Backup
        rpout.conn.fs_abilities.backup_set_globals(rpin, force)
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py", line 919, in backup_set_globals
        dest_fsa = FSAbilities('destination').init_readwrite(Globals.rbdir)
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/fs_abilities.py", line 152, in init_readwrite
        subdir.mkdir()
      File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/rdiff_backup/rpath.py", line 983, in mkdir
        self.conn.os.mkdir(self.path)
    OSError: [Errno 95] Operation not supported: '/mnt/wd/backup/test.example.com.rdiff-backup.mirror/home/user/files/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.0'
    xenBackup: purging increments older than 120D from /mnt/wd/backup/test.example.com.rdiff-backup.mirror/home/user/files
    Fatal Error: Could not open rdiff-backup directory

/mnt/wd/backup/test.example.com.rdiff-backup.mirror/home/user/files/rdiff-backup-data

due to

[Errno 95] Operation not supported: '/mnt/wd/backup/test.example.com.rdiff-backup.mirror/home/user/files/rdiff-backup-data/rdiff-backup.tmp.0'

xenBackup: FAILURE: error backing up domain test.example.com
    xenBackup: Cleaning up
    xenBackup: FAILURE: backup completed with some failures

When I read the error message, I though the drive was not mounted. I have verified the drive is mounted and has space available. Can anyone shed some light on what I should do to fix the problem?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  2. atjensen11

atjensen11 New Member

I think I have isolated the problem to the drive. I ran the backup script manually to another drive and the rdiff-backup was completed without errors.

As I mentioned before, the drive has capacity. It is currently about 80% full. It is formated as NTFS and is attached through fstab with the NTFS-3g driver.

When i tried to create a new directory on the drive, it threw an error.
    Code:
    mkdir: cannot create directory `test': Operation not supported

I tried to run fsck on the drive, but it too threw an error since the drive is NTFS.

Any ideas on how I can troubleshoot the problem further?

3. atjensen11

atjensen11 New Member

[solved]

I solved this issue by removing the drive and connecting it to a Windows machine. Windows went through and did a check on the NTFS file system. Then the drive was properly removed which likely closed the journal appropriately.

After doing this, the drive was reconnected to the Linux machine and backups were able to write to the drive correctly.

fola likes this.
  4. fola

fola New Member

Thanks. This was helpful.