Bandwidth Arbitrator

Discussion in 'Suggest HOWTO' started by Mad Dawg, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Mad Dawg

Mad Dawg New Member

Hello All

It would be great if someone would update the only how too I have
    ever been able to find on the entire web
    its for a product called Bandwidth Arbitrator it is the open source version
    of their paid product called netequalizer these units are very expesive bandwidth traffic shapers which I have seen in operation and they do an amazing job controlling bandwith fairly

I have attached the only newbie friendly guide I can find for this and have tried it many times with no success

the problem is not the how too... its pretty good
    The issue is finding the specified sources it was based on debian sarge and
    requires a kernel-source-2.6.8 which seems to be unavailable
    aparently it had some security flaw and has been dropped from all repositories
    I have searched everywhere I could think of for it with ..no luck

I am hoping that someone with more skill than I could alter it and propose another distro or sources to be able to build one

The only difference between the open source version and the paid product
    is the lack of a gui but other than that they are fully functional
    these units a quite expensive and start at 2000 dollars just for a small one

I think it would help others besides me

Thanks Much
    MD

Guide Below

HTML:
    Hello everyone,

Introduction : 

This is going to be a Badwidth Arbitrator (ver 9.62) install guide on Debian Sarge

First of all you will need to download Debian Sarge cd1 from here http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r2/i386/iso-cd/debian-31r2-i386-binary-1.iso .

Note about the computer I used for my network of 145~ computers and a 512kbit/s down, and 512kbit/s up optical line :

CPU : Intel Pentium 3Ghz
    RAM : 256 MB DDR 
    HDD : 80GB Western Digital ( because I was unable to find a smaller drive at the time)
    ETHERNET : 2x Realtek 100Mbps (RTL8193too) ( but any other will do, if you can go with intel , intel seems to be better supported by some software)

START

You put in the Debian Sarge cd1 into your machine and you just install it choosing the apropriate time zones , locations ... root password etc,etc.

Once you went trough the installer which is quiet simple for Debian Sarge. You will do the following,
    first login as root and type the following.

CODEapt-get build-dep kernel-source-2.6.8
    apt-get install libncurses5-dev
    cd /home
    wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.5.tar.gz
    wget http://www.bandwidtharbitrator.com/bridge-utils-0.9.5.tar
    wget http://www.bandwidtharbitrator.com/downloads/arbitrator9.62.tar.gz

This will take a while to download, once it is done do the following :

CODEcd /usr/src
    tar zxfv /home/linux-2.6.5.tar.gz
    ln -s linux-2.6.5 linux
    ln -s linux-2.6.5 linux-2.6

With this the kernel is in place, so now let's go focus on the bridge utils :

CODEmkdir /bridge
    cd /bridge
    tar xvf /home/bridge-utils-0.9.5.tar
    cd /bridge-utils
    make

Now it's time to move on to the kernel source (2.6.5) :

CODEcd /usr/src/linux
    make menuconfig

WARNING: 
    If you used for example realtek cards when you install rh9 it detected them and it is working, but if you look at Network Devices and 100mbps ethernet in menuconfig you'll see that they are compiled in as modules only, now this will be a problem , since rh9 will no longer see the realtek cards once you reboot to the 2.4.19 kernel, so instead of using the rtl8139 as module you must compile it in , change that M in front of it to a * .

Once done edit your /usr/src/linux/.config file and make sure the following are set to Y otherwise
    you'll have problems.

config_fb=y
    config_fb_vesa=y
    config_framebuffer_console=y

Then search for EXT3 in the config file and select Y for everything that has a EXT3 in it , otherwise the new kernel won't be able to see your file system, thus wont boot.

With this the bridge utils and kernel menu config are done for now, let's continue with installing Arbitrator9.62.

CODEmkdir /art
    cd /
    tar zxvf /home/arbitrator9.62.tar.gz
    cd /arbitrator9.62.tar.gz
    ./install.sh

You basically select Y till the end, that will install arbitrator to the right places, so now we compile
    bridge-utils again.

CODEcd /bridge/bridge-utils
    make

Now we'll continue compiling the new kernel :

CODEmake
    make bzImage
    make modules
    make modules_install
    make install

Now we need to create the /boot/initrd.img-2.6.5 so you'll need to download the right tools and do
    the following :

CODEapt-get install module-init-tools
    mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.5 2.6.5

So the finall step is to add the new kernel into your /boot/grub/menu.lst file , add the following few
    lines right after the original Debian Sarge kernel 2.4.x entry :

CODE
    title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.5
    root            (hd0,0)
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5 root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=788
    initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.5
    savedefault
    boot

You might wanna remove vga=788 if you get a blank screen , otherwise it's gona enable you to view the screen at a higher resolution.

Once this is done type , you'll need to edit the following file to make arbitrator autostart on restart :

/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh

Add the following few lines to the end of it :

CODE/usr/local/sbin/brctl addbr my
    /usr/local/sbin/brctl addif my eth0
    /usr/local/sbin/brctl addif my eth1
    /sbin/ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
    /sbin/ifconfig eth1 0.0.0.0
    /sbin/ifconfig my 192.168.10.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.10.1
    /etc/init.d/arbitrate start

Don't forget to modify the ip addresses here according to your own needs.

Now copy the brctl and brctld file to the following location /usr/local/sbin/ like this :

CODEcd /bridge/brctl
    cp brctl /usr/local/sbin
    chmod 700 /usr/local/sbin/brctl
    cp brctld /usr/local/sbin
    chmod 700 /usr/local/sbin/brctld

Once done edit /etc/arbdefault.conf make sure the ip address there matches the ip address you used for the bridge !!! 

Reboot, and there you have it Arbitrator 9.62 on kernel 2.6.5 running .

This would be recommended for those who used the older Arbitrator on 2.4.19 kernel and encountered panics sometimes. Those should try to upgrade to this newer Arbitrator.

END

Sincerely
    Robert B 

2. jedc53

jedc53 New Member

The Linux Bandwidth Arbitrator was designed specifically to enhance response times for email,chat, and web clients on heavily used networks.Users who consistently download large files are automatically scaled back.Linux Bandwidth Arbitrator allows beginning-to-advanced network administrators to control bandwidth.It is designed to be completely turn key in its default configuration.