Base path for mails on the SOURCE server?

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by Taleman, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Seems I bump into migration problems all the time. How did all of you get the migration done and not asking questions here all the time like I have to do?
    Now I get during dry run error "Invalid path." when migrate script asks
    Please give your base path for mails on the source server (e. g. /var/vmail) or hit Enter for default settings: [/var/vmail]:
    This run is on the web server, which does not have e-mail directories.
    My multiserver setup is two hosts, ispc3 and aweb4.
    I did manage to run the migrate dry run to completion on the master server ispc3, which has databases, e-mail server and some of the web sites.
    On this other server aweb4 migrate script asks for that base path for mails, and does not seem to accepth anything. I tried /home/vmail where the e-mail directories are on ispc3, and that answer worked there with migrate. Answering empty does not work either.
    Another thing about this path for mails question: It gets asked twice. This is from the successful dry run on ispc3:

2. Croydon

Croydon ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hello,
    if this server does not even have mail, then just use a path that exists, e. g. /var/www
    We will definitely improve this behaviour in next versions.

3. Taleman

Thanks for the answer. I'll try again and see how far I get this time. :)
    What about the other question about getting asked twice about the "base path for mails"? They both ask for the source, server, should one of them actually ask base path on the TARGET server?

4. Croydon

It is both the same setting and just being asked twice. This is a known issue.

5. haha... I see that you were having the same problems as I. Can I ask a few questions, because I need a bit of info? Any more help would be appreciated.
    Did you use the generated bash script form moving mail and websites, did it changed the folder owners and set propper pemisions?
    What does the public(!) IP off the target server that you need to enter during the migration script configuration? I've seen it in the generated script that it wants to replace the source script IP. But I'm using my private IP to access the SOURCE server and after migration I'll just redirect my old public IP to the new servers private IPs so my mail and websites and dns servers will have the same IPs as before.

6. Taleman

I used the bash scripts. Be careful with them when you have many source servers, the script files get the same name. I renamed them before copying over to avoid overwriting. Owners and permissions were set correctly, once I got the scripts to run to the end without errors.
    I had to modify the generated scripts, the migrator put wrong IP address and some other stuff wrong there. I reported bugs about these, probably they get fixed for the next version of migration tool.
    Actually I have not yet finished the migration, and my plan is to use the IP-numbers the Target servers have and change DNS stuff to match those.

Tomislav Aurednik likes this.
  7. Croydon

The command script's name is indeed depending on the source server's ip address, so if you have multiple source servers merging to the same target, you'll have to alter the names to avoid overwriting them. Might be worth a change.

We continuously try to improve the process of the migtool itself because most of the problems that users run in are caused by misunderstood prompts or wrong answers during the migration run. If there are questions the tool asks that you find being irritating or even misleading, please feel free to report them using the ticket tool: http://www.ispconfig.org/get-support/?type=migration Thanks.

8. A pdf that explains the promts a bit and why are some needed, like the IPs. So you know what will be done with them. Something like the ispconfig manual would be great.

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, we are working on a more detailed manual for the Migration tool already.