Basic Tuning Ispconfig 3 and mariadb

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by Pyxis, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Pyxis

Pyxis New Member

I all
    I install 2 vms 1 for ispconfig with nginx and 1 for db (i do this for better performance)...i use howtoforge multiserver guide and all is ok.
    Are there any basics steps (not written in howtoforge ubuntu 18.04 isp3 with nginx) for tuning up isp?
    I use Ubuntu 18.04 (8 core 16 gb ram) with isp3.1 - nginx with php7.2 fpm and mariadb on separate db server.
    Could someone tell me how to BASIC tune up php nginx and mysql?
    -------------------------
    I have another question...all of my websites are developed in wordpress and i read that with wp-supercache all tuning on mysql are superfluos..is right?

THANKS

2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

there is no absolute guide for tuning webservers/database servers.
    the optimum settings for you right now will probably not be the optimum settings for you in a month from now.
    database tuning is a whole administrative role in itself, you could easily employ someone do that for you full-time.
    the best settings change over time with changes in traffic patterns, typical queries etc, it can change throughout the day, let alone over a longer term.
    your best option is to google for general tuning guides for whatever software your using, in this case nginx, php, MariaDB and follow those, enable lots of monitoring, so you can see what's happened, and when, and then adjust things based on the guides, and your existing logged usage and expected future usage. and just keep repeating that process as often as you feel is necessary.

as for caching making MySQL tuning superfluous. nope. yes, you can set it to cache query responses. it'll reduce the overall load on the database server. which may change the best settings for it, whether or not that makes enough of a difference to make retuning it worthwhile is up to you.

3. Pyxis

Pyxis New Member

ok, mysqltuner is good for mysql, but for php is there something to use?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

In my opinion, PHP can't be tuned much performance wise except installing an opcache, which should be installed already.

5. Pyxis

Pyxis New Member

ok, thanks! very good advices