Best practice Mount Options

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by domino, Aug 20, 2005.

1. domino

domino New Member

My next linux build, I want to make a Linux system harder against SUID based and other exploits. I want to keep the following mount points on their own partition. I alocated 10gig to the whole installation. Based on the Fedora 3 installation avaiable on this site, what would you recommend for each partition size. Please keep in mind that I want to keep the absolute minimum so that the majority of my space is alocated to the /var partition.

Avaiable space: 10gig

/ =
    /usr =
    /home =
    /opt =
    /var =
    /tmp =
    /boot =

If you think I need to add aditional partitions, please state that as well.

2. domino

domino New Member

I did some blind calculations and this is what I came up with. Are these sufficiant enought for a strictly webserver style installation of Fed. C4?

/ = 200MB
    /usr = 2,000MB
    /home = 1,000MB
    /opt = 512MB
    /var = 6,000MB
    /tmp = 200MB
    /boot = 50MB

If I can resize the other directories so that /var can be as large as possible, please let me know.

EDIT: I had to trim down on some partitions to add a 400mb swap partition.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I think that looks resonable. Personally i wont choose so much different partitions, beacause sooner or later one of them will be full while other partitions where nearly empty. But for security reasons it is a good descision.

My hd layout is in most cases:

/boot
    swap
    /tmp
    /
    /var

With a big /var partition where i put the ispconfig web root.

4. domino

domino New Member

That's a reasonable comment. However, I was under the impression that I can resize the partition later down the road if such case happens. I personally haven't tried it though. What's your take on that? Is it easy or hard to resize?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I never tried resizing a partition. The risk was too high for me and i dont want to mess up a system in production stage.

6. domino

domino New Member

:eek: I wouldn't either. This install here is basically a trial and error thing until I know enough to upgrade the stable install. That's why I installed it on a virtual environment. It's easy enough to go back on an old snapshot. No more reinstalling and waiting for updates on the repos.

I plan to put this server, when stable enough, on production and purchase a 1 or 2mb upstream dedicated DSL connection. My friends and family can just pitch in on the bandwidth cost. Which is cetainly cheaper than if they all got there own shared hosting.

Anyway, wish me luck :D. heh, I'll have a server farm before you know it. Just have to upgrade to dual 64 and 4gig memory. :cool:

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

However you do it, I'd take care that you have your users' web sites and mailboxes on the same partition, or otherwise you'll have problems with quotas... :rolleyes:
    If you use mbox, then put the web sites on the /var partition or make a huge / partition with everything on.

8. domino

domino New Member

Yes, the users' website are all in the /var partition.

I haven't changed anything with the default mail location. What ever came default with your how-to is where it is. Now I don't know where the default setup saves the emails. I hope they are in /var as well. :eek:

9. falko

If you use the mbox format, then they're in /var/spool/mail; if you use Maildir then they're in the Maildir directory in a user's hoemdir (which again is under /var if you have your web sites under /var).

Which POP3/IMAP daemon do you use? Which tutorial did you follow?

10. domino

domino New Member

That is great to hear! I installed "Expert" and chose option "2" on the ISPConfig setup. Then changed the default place to "/var/www"
    I Used Postfix and I fallowed your Fedora 4 Tutorial. Except I added a few more partitions to try to harden the server.

11. falko

Then it's imapd which uses mbox.

12. domino

domino New Member

:D I don't think I'm going to worry about that unless one of my siblings finally figure out what IMAP is and wants to use it.