Best practice to upgrade Ubuntu with ispconfig?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Fafa24, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Fafa24

Fafa24 Member

Dear Community,
    I would like to ask what is the best way to upgrade Ubuntu when Ispconfig is installed? We have several servers with Ubuntu 18.04 and would like,e to upgrade them with Ubuntu 20.04 or soon 22.04.

First of all, I understand there are two approaches

1) Upgrade Ubuntu with 'do-release-upgrade' command and afterward follow the "The perfect server Ubuntu 20.04" guideline to upgrade all components for Ispconfig

2) Install a new server with Ubuntu 20.04 and follow the "The perfect server Ubuntu 20.04" guideline. Afterward, use the ISP Migrator tool to transfer all data to the new server.

Which method is the better?

Thank you!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. Fafa24

Fafa24 Member

Okay, thanks I will give this a try.

4. till

just as a note: do not upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 before we announce that it is fully supported by ISPConfig, you would break your setup otherwise.

5. vincent1890

vincent1890 New Member

Ubuntu 22.04 not OK actually ?

6. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

That post was on March 2nd, 2022 when Ubuntu 22.04 was not even released yet, thus was not supported by ISPConfig yet, at that time. It is fully supported now.

7. till

Sure, if an OS is listed in the list of supported OS at ispconfig.org (Ubuntu 22.04 is listed there) and if there are install guides for Ubuntu 22.04 (which exist as well here https://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig-autoinstall-debian-ubuntu/), then you can assume that its a supported OS :)