Best Single IP, Two server configuration?

Discussion in 'General' started by Xase, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Xase

Xase Member

Alright... We have only one external ip, which obviously makes things hard...

We have a cluster setup, but nothing in the tutorials explained how to set up any sort of failover?

Our cluster setup is giving us issues though, like DNS records not sticking.

getting errors like
    Code:
    CONFIGURATION ERROR

2018-09-21 14:28 :
    zone childrenofatom.church/IN: NS 'ns2.afraid.org.childrenofatom.church' has no address records (A or AAAA)
    zone childrenofatom.church/IN: not loaded due to errors.
    Even though I had rectified missing the period already.

In other words, I'm sometimes having to go in and click an individual record and re save it, to make sure it sticks.

And this happened yesterday.
    Code:
    2018-09-21 20:31    miyagi.gethosting.today    Warning    Unable to determine a mapping path 
    2018-09-21 20:31    miyagi.gethosting.today    Warning    Unable to determine a mapping path 
    2018-09-21 18:22    miyagi.gethosting.today    Warning    Unable to determine a mapping path 
    2018-09-21 18:20    miyagi.gethosting.today    Warning    Unable to determine a mapping path
    Not sure what that means exactly

So I guess this thread is about, what is the best: single external IP, two server configuration. And are these issues I should be worried about? I mean the DNS records is annoying, and it's causing issues with Mail I think. @Taleman had said he couldn't see my MX or SPF records using reverse DNS, but I'm not sure if he was doing gethosting.today, miyagi.gethosting.today or daniel-san.gethosting.today (which does not have a public IP) So this is becoming increasingly frustrating.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  2. Xase

Xase Member

I by no means hold ISPConfig or any of its developers at fault, merely: my own level of experience is at fault.

3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Since the beginning of your posts I am not sure what you are trying to do, but my view is you don't need to have your own dns server; so preferably just use free dns server like cloudflare, zoneedit or afraid.

The trick is to create one (email) account per one domain as those free dns service normally has their limits.

Use your single ip to serve your master server (web and other server services beside dns server); and as for your extra server, use it as a cluster or backup, so you can restore your services if your master server is down.

4. Xase

Xase Member

@ahrasis to be honest, I am trying to get everything working (near) flawlessly before I do anything else. This is all an expansion / learning experience for my knowledge mostly, plus offering inexpensive/free hosting to friends and family, depending on who they are, is a bonus. I'm not good at making sense, I'm very sporadic, and this is my first foray into server maintenance. I'm doing my best to learn, but am having a bit of trouble with ISPConfig is all. I am in a bootcamp/school for full stack web development, and thought why not run a server myself for my projects as well as other purposes. I just started so my knowledge is still limited. I apologize if any of my posts have appeared cryptic, or otherwise bemusing. I honestly thought what I'm trying to do was pretty obvious: run ispconfig fully and effectively. I'm sorry if I'm being bothersome.

I will keep the cluster then. I have a possibility to move one server to another state. Can the cluster setup work at a distance with appropriate /etc/hosts, mysql and other configurations updated? These are mine and my friend's physical hardware, not some rented dedicated server some where.

I apologize again for not being as straightforward as possible.

5. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I was only saying that you can run your ISPConfig and other services without having to run your own dns server, as it is easier that way for those having one public ip, and no offense was intended.

As I said before in other threads, you can still run cluster server with your single public ip with dns service but just make sure you properly configure your master server to allow ns2.afraid.org to run as secondary (backup) dns server to yours as stated in http://freedns.afraid.org/secondary/instructions.php.

The configuration for your cluster server should be just the same as stated in the tutorial: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...abase-cluster-on-debian-8.4-with-ispconfig-3/, whether you are using internal ip or external ip; and having two servers at different location (not within the same LAN) will normally give you two public ip's.

If you use two public ip i.e. one ip per server, the failover that you are looking for is already there, in that cluster setup; where if one ip (where the master server is setup) failed, then your slave will continue to work in its place until you restore your master server. This is a very straightforward solution.

However, if you have only one public ip with two internal ip's, where both two cluster servers are under each internal ip, you will have to configure your router to use your slave server instead of your master server if your master server failed. For this, normally you will need a script to access your router in the event of that failure and make the necessary changes.

Xase likes this.
  6. Xase

Xase Member

Yeah. I was thinking I would benefit from a new modem and a ddwrt capable router in that single ip fail over department. I simulated fail over by configuring the port forwarding to point to secondary. Manual failover is better than no failover.

I was thinking a script that would ping the server/check its mysql status/maybe even look for bad status in systemctl status and execute a fallback script that in chain executes a ddwrt shell script to do the reconfiguring...

All in due time I suppose then. Thank you @ahrasis for your input.

ahrasis likes this.
  7. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

If ddwrt can't support the failover easily, pfsense can, though it needs more memory/resources to run than ddwrt.

Xase likes this.