Bind 9 et Dns config

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by albertf, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I did wonder why you preferred to use KeepAlived and not the setup proposed by OVH. But since you wrote that
    I did not wonder more about that and let it be.
    ISPConfig does not do the network setup of the host. The network setup is done in the operating system, on the OS that I have it is /etc/network/interfaces. ISPConfig Manual tells how to do it in chapter 5.18. The method adviced there seems to be the same that OVH instructions use. When more IP-addresses have been setup, you can tell ISPConfig about them in Panel | System.

2. albertf

albertf Member

@Taleman many thanks for your time and for your help.
    I checked :cool:
    5.1 How Do I Create A Reseller?
    5.2 How Do I Create A Client?
    I'm not Reseller and I do not have any client, but more than 10 domain name for myself.

[​IMG]

When we add the IP it look like the IP's are not connected on the network, the Ip are showed in ISPconf but not connected on eth0 that's why it's not working
    I'm trying to undestand why...and solved without KeepAlived to be able to use Ispconfig Only
    Just to be more clear
    I'm using : 1 Domain.com = 1 Ip failover
    to make this
    [​IMG]
    That's an avantage to use this for many reason, domain name will never change Ip address even if you change the server and Panel, and many other good reason, like Ip dedicated for each domain name that's perfect for the email delivrability, and more and so on...
    When I Add an IP with Ispconfig, it doesn't work.... KeepAlived solved my problem, but I'm trying to use the interface of Ispconfig to do not use KeepAlived manually because it's not friendly to add or remove an Ip, it can be more confortable to do this with IspConfig.
    I beleive in Ispconfig, I love it... that's why I spend time to understand...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  3. Taleman

Exactly. You must first setup that IP-number in the operating system configuration so it works. Then you can add it in that ISPConfig panel.
    ISPConfig manual explains how clients and resellers are created. But I thought it is not needed to create them for the stuff we are discussing in this thread. Or can you show otherwise?

4. albertf

albertf Member

You mean we must use KeepAlived to add an Ip failover ? to get the Ip failover on eth0 ? there is not other solution to get connected eth0 with IspConfig directly ? right ?
    Sorry what do you mean ?
    This is ONLY 400 pages in this manual, 10 days rather I had never used IspConfig, maybe in 6 month I will understand, but not right now o_O

5. albertf

albertf Member

Just to convince you that my case is not a specific case.
    OVH = 300.000 servers, 28 Datacenters, 19 country, 18M web applications hosted and 1.300.000 customers.
    Be sure I am not the only one in trouble with this problerm with the Ip failover from OVH with Ispconfig...
    My case is solved, I am just trying to go ahead with Ispconfig for the other customers in the same case and try to contribute...
    I do not want to bother you :(

6. Taleman

I have never written you need to use KeepAlived. In fact it is curious you use it at all for this setup. Why not do it like OVH instructions and ISPConfig manual tell you to do?

7. albertf

albertf Member

ISPConfig manual tell you to do? I did my best as a beginner to follow, but as you know now, it was not working because My Ip's wasn't connected to eth0, as far as I know you never advised me to check this or to setup this ;-)
    Why not do it like OVH instructions: There is no instructions from Ovh about IspConfig, they just say that we have to connect our Ip failover to the network, nothing more...I reported my solution with KeepAlived to the support and they escaleted this to the admins. But there is any guarantees to see new tutorial about KeepAlived with Ovh and the Ip's failover...
    I asked this question already : System -> Server IP addresses
    What this is doing exactly ? now we are sure that we not get connected the Ip to eth0, but do you have a list of what this fonction is doing ?
    How we can report this to the administrator of IspConfig ?
    Maybe in the next version of Ispconfig, the install can add automaticly KeeAlived and : System -> Server IP addresses can add the Ip's directly in KeeAlived.
    I don't know...just trying to go head...
    And before this, maybe we need to make a "tutorial" to help 20% of 1.300.000 customers from OVH using Ip Failover and wanted to use IspConfig ? (If the customers from Ovh have to read 400 pages to understand the manual and setup the Reseller part just to use Ip Failover, maybe it's going to discourage them to using IspConfig...)

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Of course, we did, reread post #35.

IP Failover or IP configuration, in general, is not ispconfig specific in any way, that's why there are no ISPConfig tutorials for that. This is specific to OVH and if OVH has a tutorial for that, then that's the guide to use. But you were told that already in post #35 of this thread.

The IP list you posted a screenshot from is for the IP addresses in Apache, it is not for the network config. But you know that since post #35 as well.

OVH makes money by using our panel, but they do not pay us anything. They have not even a single 5 eur/ month subscription. So why shall we write instructions specific to them? You should send your complaints to OVH if you want to get OVH specific ISPConfig guides, not to us.

Sure, good idea, but there is the problem that OVH did not signal us that they want to take the development cost of such a module for their servers yet. I'll start with that as soon as OVH makes a donation of 5 USD / year for each server that they run ISPConfig on.

9. albertf

albertf Member

I understand your opinion, and on my side I have paid.
    I was not complaints from me, please be fair, I'm not OVH, I just reported this problem and find a solution by myself with KeepAlived and share it for the community, I just wanted to help, you don't need to be upset against me.
    Ovh do not promote Ispconfig, and worst because they suggest an auto-install VestaCp or Virtualmin.
    The customers should be responsible ?
    My goal was just support Ispconfig and push up to get more users, and not to complain or make you upset.
    On my side I fully satisfied with Ispconfig and really happy to use it.
    Thanks for all

10. till

Thank you comments! Normally you would just add IP addresses in the network config file of your server by using the instructions from your data center without the need of Keepalived. But you can use Keepalived of course. OVH still provides an ISPConfig image, just checked on their website, but its a completely outdated installation according to their site it still uses Debian 8. I wish OVH would provide a recent and better-prepared image based on our perfect server guides.

Please don't get me wrong, we really appreciate that you support us with your subscription. It's just not that nice by some larger providers which use our software as a benefit and selling point for their services on the one side, but do not support the project behind it plus they outsource support to the open-source community as well. Of course, that's their right to do that and its completely in line with the open-source licenses and understandable from a business standpoint, but they should also consider that their whole business would probably not exist if volunteers would not write and support open-source software.

ahrasis likes this.
  11. albertf

albertf Member

Great, we can understand each other and we have the same thinking.
    I fully agree with you, the larger providers will always take benefit from Open-source and make a huge business unfairly and not only with IspConfig... We shouldn't wait something from them...
    This is musn't prevent Ispconfig to grow up and be useful for everybody, even for the customers from the larger providers.
    So, I do not see an other solution than make Ispconfig the most friendly possible, to be the most attractive, to be used by the most people as possible, and I am quite sure than you will agree with me ;-)
    In many cases, even if it's not fair, it's necessary to go head without taking care about larger providers.
    That's why in the post #23 I offered my help about the tutorial "Set up DNS with ISPConfig", maybe just need to add 2 lignes in this tutorial concerning IP Failover and KeepAlived to let know the Ip Failover should be connected on eth0, this is will be enough to help people.
    But of course this decision should be yours or @Taleman and I will respect it, I am not here to give problems...
    Regards

12. Taleman

Can you write those 2 lines?
    How does this concern setting up DNS?

ahrasis likes this.
  13. koheleth

koheleth Member

Do we need DNS on our install?
    My domain registrar takes care of all my DNS.
    I find DNS things confusing at times, if a site is up and mail works fine, why do we add worry?

ahrasis likes this.
  14. Taleman

True, it is not mandatory to install DNS on an ISPConfig setup. But in case someone needs that, there is that tutorial.

ahrasis and koheleth like this.
  15. till

No, you don't have to use the DNS module in ISPConfig to use other modules like mail or web. For beginners or when you don't have many domains, then it's better to keep DNS at your hosting provider instead of running your own DNS server.

ahrasis likes this.
  16. albertf

albertf Member

1.3 Testing
    Specific cases : Virtual IP /Dedicated Ip / Ip Failover, must be connected on the network with eth0, you can check it with this command # ip addr show.
    If Dedicated Ip / Ip Failover are not connect on eth0, your DNS cannot be used. That's not a DNS problems, it can be solved with Keepalived to be connected on eth0 or with this solution in the wiki.debian.org/fr/NetworkConfiguration
    Sorry for my english writing, maybe this sentence need to corrected, but this sentence will help and avoid a very long research to discover why the Dns are not working with Dedicated Ip / Ip Failover and show an evidence that Ispconfig is not responsible in this case.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019