Broke my server now I can't install ubuntu or poweroff or reboot anymore

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Samo_slo, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Samo_slo

Samo_slo Member

I had a backup server that used rsync to get and sync the /var/vmail dir. With the command:
    rsync -avz --delete -e "ssh -i /dir_tosync_key/rsync_key" [email protected]:/var/vmail/ /var/vmail/
    And when I copy/paste it on my ssh client it didn't copy full and executed itself and deleted everything.
    rsync -avz --delete -e "ssh -i /dir_tosync_key/rsync_key" [email protected]:/var/vmail/ /
    I had to force shutdown the server and now I get timeouts and Ubuntu server distros freeze at finishing the installation. When it says remove the install media and press enter it gets to 80% and freezes. I can't reboot or poweroff the server even running live distros.
    I tryed full format with gparted live, checked the disk with smartctl and badblock and they are OK, reset the BIOS to default, taken out the battery, removed the ram, put the disk in a different slot. I ran out off ideas and so has google.
    Any suggestions what to do? The server is an old HP ProLiant ML310 G5.

2. Samo_slo

Samo_slo Member

when I boot and login to the not finished install, I get errors:
    INFO: task sysdemd-udevd:125 blocked for more than 120 seconds
    Not tainted 4.2.0-27-generic #32¨14.04.1-Ubuntu

3. Thomas Prüfer

Thomas Prüfer New Member

I would try a newer version of ubuntu. I never experienced problems with 16.04 + 4.9 kernel. I installed almost 50 server without any problem at all. If this doesn't work and like you wrote you can run live distros anymore, I would think about a hardware failure. CPU, or ram maybe.