Bugreport - Can't upgrade ISPconfig on Etch

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by letic, Dec 1, 2006.

1. letic

letic New Member

Edited for Till : Missing features :) - Can't upgrade ISPconfig on Etch

Hi Falko and Till,

I just wanted to report you a bug that I found in ISPConfig 2.2.8 during the upgrade.

I have been using ISPConfig since version 2.2.3 (as far as I can remember :) ) on a debian Etch/testing. As we are getting near the release the /etc/debian_version changed to 4.0 and the install script return that the operating system is not supported.

No worries I manage to install it by adding it to the dist.txt file, but I just wanted to let you know.

Thanks again for this fantastic tool !
    Cheers
    LeTic

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thanks for the report. I would call it more a missing feature then a bug ;) We will add Etch in the dist.txt file of the next release.

3. letic

letic New Member

Lol do you want me to change the title of my post ? :p

Anyway thanks for the reactivty and glad to help a little bit :)

4. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

A bit offtopic, but do you know if it's possible to do an update from Sarge to Etch? (Not that I'm going to do it now, but maybe when Etch is final)

5. letic

letic New Member

I'm not sure of the type of update you're speaking about... if you mean the OS or just ISPConfig...

For the OS when you have changed your /etc/apt/sources.list to point to etch (or stable when it will be release) a simple apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade should do the trick (also you may want to add a litlle prayer :) )

I did an upgrade on a Sarge server I have and had only minor configuration issues to solve.

If you're speaking about ISPConfig, I'm not sure you would have to change anything (usually the configuration files, scripts and binaries would still be the same in etch and sarge).

Till and Falko would be better to answer the question but if I was in your case I would redo an ISPConfig upgrade after migrating from Sarge to Etch just to be sure.

Anyway when Etch would be officialy out Falko will most likely publish one of his brillant Perfect Setup on HowTo Forge that will guide you through it ;)

Hope this answer your question
    LeTic

6. edge

It's the OS I'm talking about.

Thank you for your info.

7. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can never know. ;) I'd make a backup of the whole system (e.g. with SystemImager) before I'd try this on a production system.

8. Ben

Ben Active Member Moderator

Are there any news about the etc support?
    Especially in case of migrating from a sarge system with ispconfig to etch (so no virgin box ;) )

9. till

Etch is supported in ISPConfig 2.2.9, which will be released in about an hour ;)

10. edge

3 hrs later.... still no ISPconfig 2.2.9..

Please do not pay attention to me.. I'm just joking :)

11. till

The file was corrupted during sourceforge upload, I uploaded it again and now I wait until the mirrors are getting the correct file :)

12. Ben

sounds goog, but didn't plan to upgrade that early ;)

what should be the preferred order here?
    guess

1.) aptitude dist-upgrade
    [reboot]
    2.) upgrade ispconfig?

13. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

That's up to you, but you should back up your system before you run
    Code:
    aptitude dist-upgrade
    (you never know what can go wrong ;) ).

14. Ben

that's right.

The thing why i was asking is, in etch many configuration stuff especially in apache etc. changed so I wondered if this would brake the configuration on a working ispconfig 2.28 or not.

15. till

We tested ISPConfig on a fresh Etch installation, but we have not tested a upgrade from Sarge to etch yet. I guess you will have to reconfigure some services like apache and postfix when the update replaces their configuration files.

16. Ben

Will a global "ispconfig recreate all configfiles" help / possible from the side of ispconfig?

17. till

The config files of ISPConfig are not normally not affected by an upgrade because debian does not change files that it is not aware of, but your main.cf and apache2.conf might be affected and they are not written by ISPConfig.