Can connect via SSH but all other connections refused

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Nebheadian, May 12, 2020.

1. Nebheadian

Nebheadian New Member

Hi,

In a bit of a pickle and hoping for some assistance. I've an old server that's been sat quietly hosting some email/websites for a few years. Not done much with it other than keeping it updated. For some reason a few days ago it stopped loading website or delivering mail, though I can still SSH in fine.

Checked the apache error log and found the follows:

Code:
    [Tue May 12 11:27:21.147403 2020] [ssl:emerg] [pid 4192] AH02565: Certificate and private key <DOMAIN:PORT> from /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ispserver.crt and /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ispserver.key do not match
    Can I get some help with debug and resolution? Am unsure how to address this without access to the ispconfig web admin.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Can you find out what operation system is running on that host?
    Oh, you are running ISPConfig? What version?
    Any error messages on logs? You did examine the logs, I hope? Any more exact info on what happens when you try to load websites or send or receive e-mail?
    For the problem, my first quess is some service is not running. But not knowing what OS you have, I can offer no help on how to check that.

3. Nebheadian

Nebheadian New Member

ISPConfig version: 3.1.15p3
    Server: Debian 8.11
    Apache Error log:
    Code:
    [Tue May 12 11:27:21.147403 2020] [ssl:emerg] [pid 4192] AH02565: Certificate and private key <DOMAIN:PORT> from /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ispserver.crt and /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/ispserver.key do not match

4. Nebheadian

Nebheadian New Member

The error in the log appears when attempting to start apache, so my assumption is that apache is not running because of it.
    Is there any additional info you need? My guess is that there is some issue due to the mismatch of certificate and private key, probably due to something with LetsEncrypt, but I don't know how to confirm that's the case, or fix it if so.

5. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

6. Nebheadian

Nebheadian New Member

I believe I did follow that, or something similar, but quite some time ago - the server has been running for some years without much issue, this problem has only occured in the last couple of days without me changing anything manually.

If I attempt to run ispconfig_update.sh now I get the message "There are no updates available for ISPConfig 3.1.15p3"

7. ahrasis

This is just a hunch, check the SSL certs in the ispconfig interface ssl folder whether they are properly link to the right LE SSL certs. Then, check that LE SSL certs whether they have been renewed and are still valid. Many services on server that were secured following that tutorial might fail to work if its main LE SSL certs renewal failed.

8. Nebheadian

Nebheadian New Member

Would be grateful for some further pointers - unsure which folders those certs are in, how to know whether they're linked properly, or how to check they've been renewed/are valid.

9. Nebheadian

Nebheadian New Member

Contents of ispconfig interface ssl folder:
    Code:
    -rwxr-x--- 1 root root   45 Mar 28 21:04 empty.dir
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   53 Jan 18  2018 ispserver.crt -> /etc/letsencrypt/live/sub.domain.com/fullchain.pem
    -rwxr-x--- 1 root root 1879 Jan 17  2018 ispserver.crt-180118112616.bak
    -rwxr-x--- 1 root root 1651 Mar 28 21:04 ispserver.csr
    -rwxr-x--- 1 root root 3243 Mar 28 21:04 ispserver.key
    -rwxr-x--- 1 root root 3243 Jan 17  2018 ispserver.key-180118112616.bak
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   51 Jan 18  2018 ispserver.key.secure -> /etc/letsencrypt/live/sub.domain.com/privkey.pem
    -rwxr-x--- 1 root root 7066 Jan 18  2018 ispserver.pem

Contents of LE domain folder:
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  42 May  8 03:00 cert.pem -> ../../archive/sub.domain.com/cert15.pem
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  43 May  8 03:00 chain.pem -> ../../archive/sub.domain.com/chain15.pem
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  47 May  8 03:00 fullchain.pem -> ../../archive/sub.domain.com/fullchain15.pem
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  45 May  8 03:00 privkey.pem -> ../../archive/sub.domain.com/privkey15.pem
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 543 Jan 18  2018 README

10. ahrasis

From what I gather from your info, ispserver.key.secure should not be symlinked, instead ispserver.key should.

So I think the best is for you to follow that tutorial again on the cli parts since your LE SSL certs seem to have been successfully renewed but ispserver.key is not symlinked and ispserver.pem has not been recreated.

11. Nebheadian

Nebheadian New Member

Re-linking the LE certs in the interface ssl folder seems to have done the trick! Thanks so much for your help, it's really appreciated :)

ahrasis likes this.
  12. ahrasis

Don't neglect the recreation of ispserver.pem too as other services might rely on its renewal and symlinks as well.
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/
    mv ispserver.pem ispserver.pem-$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M%S").bak
    cat ispserver.{key,crt} > ispserver.pem
    chmod 600 ispserver.pem

Running through the tutorial once again is the safest way to ensure everything is in good order.