Can you load balance all ISPConfig Services, including Apache?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jcorrea920, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Jcorrea920

Jcorrea920 New Member

Previously, I asked about the possibility for using a proxy server to speed up performance on a Celeron Server I have running ISPConfig 2.2.0 on Fedora Core 4 Perfect Setup. The 366 Mhz processor and 256 MB of RAM are far from cutting edge hardware. Therefore to prolong the inevitable is it possible to set up load balancing with ISPConfig 2.2.0 or do I have to wait for ISPConfig 3.0? I am building the load balancer 2 now and just waiting for the hardrive. Do I need a seperate server to be the Linux Director? I have been to the ultramonkey website and don't quite understand how it works, because I feel like the only load balancing that it performs in MySQL database.

The main reason I shy away from that idea is that I currently have the primative Master Slave relationship with two MySQL servers, one being the load balancer 1 (Master: Celeron, 366Mhz, ISPConfig 2.2.0, LAMP) and the second one being (Slave: Pentium 4, WIMP). Load Balancer 2 would just be a replica of load balancer 1 (except Pentium 3). Can you see my predicament? Is my idea possible? Or is there a better way to do what I am trying to do?:confused:

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. falko

4. Jcorrea920

Jcorrea920 New Member

Can you have webnodes over firewall on a WAN connection?

Falko,

I have been studying the tutorial and I was thinking of placing web nodes in different cities or branches and having the firewall not only place the web server on the DMZ but forward a port number other than 80 to the webserver.
    Can this be done? or does it have to point to the web node's port 80?

Then I can have a different port travel WAN and have the firewall redirect it to the webserver's port 80, right? I am excited to try this if you like I will post my progress and problems on this thread. :cool:

Jorge

5. falko

I haven't tried this. But you need a virtual IP address which is hard to get if you work with public IP addresses. Maybe you should set up a VPN if you want to spread your nodes over the internet.

6. Jcorrea920

Jcorrea920 New Member

Falko

Maybe you misunderstood me. I am not sure exactly how to set up a VPN with three nodes spread accross a MAN, but what I meant was have them replicate on public IP addresses on say port 85 and then have the firewall foward port 85 to port 80 on the virtual IP address on the web server node inside the networks. Also another way can be to configure apache to listen on port 85 and then the conversion would not be necessary but the forwarding would still be essential. Is there any other ports ultramonkey uses that need to be opened on a firewall to make this work?

Another newbie like question, do you install ISPCONFIG after the cluster is set up, and does it replicate across the nodes or do you have to install it on all nodes seperately?

Maybe I misunderstood your approach. Would it be easier to set up a VPN? That probably would require us to buy more hardware that can handle WAN VPN routing. We are trying to keep cost down to a minimum so suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Jorge

7. falko

That should work.

I don't install ISPConfig on the nodes. With ISPConfig you can manage just one server, not multiple ones. The tutorial has nothing to do with ISPConfig.