Cannot create directories after upgrading to 3.1.12

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by zenny, Jun 6, 2018.

1. zenny

zenny Member

Hi,

Even root is not allowed to create directories in /var/www/WEBSITE/web after upgrading. However, I can change immutable attribute to create one, and make it immutable after creating one.

However, if one has to create a directory inside /var/www/WEBSITE folder even as root, I get 'chattr: Operation not supported while reading flags on WEBSITE'.

Is there any way to overcome this in a simple way as it used to be? Thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I can create directories without any issues in 3.1.12. As in all ISPConfig 3 versions, the directory /var/www/domain.tld is set to immutable, so you cannot create directories there. The /var/www/domain.tld/web is not immutable, and there the web user and of course, the root user is able to create directories. The code for this has not been altered in the past releases btw.

Maybe you did a mistake while manually managing chattr permissions?

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Just a guess, you have tried to use chattr command on the symlink and not the real path. Attributes can be set and removed only on the path and not on a symlink to the path. The real path is something like /var/www/clients/client1/web1 while /var/www/test100.int is just a symlink to that path.

so to remove the immutable bit on the web root, you use:

chattr -i /var/www/clients/client1/web1

when you want to create a directory outside of the web folder like /var/www/clients/client1/web1/yourcustomdir

Using chattr for creating a directory in web like /var/www/clients/client1/web1/web/yourdir is not necessary as the web dir is not protected with an immutable bit.

Richard Foley and zenny like this.
  4. zenny

zenny Member

Thanks for prompt response.

5. Richard Foley

Richard Foley Member

The difference between the real path and the symlink was a gem to find. This is what I love about unix/linux, there's always something new to discover :)