Canon Pixma MP170 driver

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Widda, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Widda

Widda New Member

hello!
    I'm asking for some help in downloading the driver and using my printer again.
    I know, from following some links to databases, that this printer is Linux compatible.
    I have Mandriva 2009.0.
    I've also followed links to drivers, but don't understand what I'm seeing,
    strings of symbols, linux terminology, (CUPS etc etc) and not even sure where the driver is amongst it all,
    new to linux, but I'm in at the deep end, Windows deleted! no regrets but plenty of difficulty!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What's your printer model, and what exactly have you done so far?

3. Widda

Widda New Member

I've upgraded to 2009.1 now.
    The printer model is Canon Pixma MP170 printer/scanner/copier.

Sorry to say, I've been so busy loading packets (from your mandriva o9.1/gnome recipe), I've forgotten everything I did with the printer. :cool:
    I might remember after a sleep.( it's 0200 in Australia)

4. falko

5. Widda

Widda New Member

Thanks falco,
    I d'loaded that stuff, didnt know where they might land or what to do with them, but no detection of printer. after a long time thought of opening ControlCentre, where there was a new printer config button, installed everything it wanted; also I noticed my printer is listed as available in the "Scanner' section.

Since then I've been around to so many places and options, but all I can remember is a CUPS issue - the troubleshooter said go to system and find it;
    I ticked it there.
    There was one place that said 'Can't autodect if parallel ports are used' and I changed something.
    Sorry it's all vague. I don't know how to remember all this stuff to tell the story! Logs might be the answer to that I suppose.

After downloading Gutenprint and a couple of RPMs, what would one normally do next? I'm sure something different from my actions.:)

6. Widda

Widda New Member

oops: falko

7. falko

Did you just download the RPMs, or did you also install them?

8. Widda

Widda New Member

I'm not sure.
    Where would they be if I did?
    I'll look for them.
    Oh, i'll look in 'Installed' column under Software in Control Room

9. Widda

Widda New Member

The ones I chose were x86 32 bit (RPM for LSB 3.1)
    and (RPM for LSB 3.2). Didn't download any DEBs.

But I can't find whether they're installed.

10. Widda

Widda New Member

I just downloaded the RPMs again, and opened with default installer, and they went to /tmp, so I went there and found a folder called Gutenprint 5.2.3. , and inside that are many mysteries which I do not touch.

But time to test the printer again.

11. Widda

Widda New Member

:):)Printer recognised! And printing!. Almost perfect, maybe minor adjustment to margins, but it's probably perfect.