can't access phpmyadmin?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by digitalv, Jul 21, 2007.

1. digitalv

digitalv New Member

I have just finished setting up ISPConfig and created a account, when I try going to https://[I]domain.tld[/I]:81/phpmyadmin I just get a 404 not found... is there something wrong with my setup or anything special I need to do? I used to be able to access my main phpmyadmin by just typing in my ipaddress/phpmyadmin and now that does not even come up, is this correct?

I am unsure if it is maybe because my domain has not propigated yet, but when I goto domain.tld I can access my site, and even the ISPConfig backend...

I can give any more info thats needed, thanks :)

Just incase, heres my netstat -tap readout for mysql

Code:
    tcp        0      0 *:mysql                 *:*                     LISTEN     3206/mysqld

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  2. digitalv

digitalv New Member

Ok I got it working... I never saw the part about having to install the tool for it... http://www.ispconfig.com/downloads.htm

Although I am now having a second problem... how can a user create a DB from within their side of ISPConfig and then login to phpmyadmin, and create new db's? I always get access denied... because I have a few sites, and some of my clients I am bringing over have a few sites that all have multiple databases for the same site, and its a real pain to have a different login/pass for each database even though their all for the same website... how can this be done? Thanks!

3. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

Howto: create a database & mysqluser within ISPConfig.

- Login into ISPConfig with the admin account.
    - Within ISPConfig, click on your website within the structure tree.
    - Enable "MySQL" for the website ans click on "Save".
    - After that, click on the "Options"tab for that same website.
    - Click on Database "New" so that the name of the MySQL user and Database are created.
    - The only thing you still need to do is to define a password for the new MySQL-user.
    When you're finished, click on save again.

- You can use the new MySQL user account/password to access phpmyadmin at URL http://anydomainonyourserver.tld:81/phpmyadmin.

4. digitalv

digitalv New Member

Thanks for the reply Hans, but what about being able to create multiple DB's from within phpmyadmin? Because when I create multiple DB's from within ISPConfig, each database has its own user/password... heres what I have going...

One of my sites I have 2 databases, one for the main content of the website, and one for the games section... I would like to be able to administer both databases with one account instead of having to login to one database, make my changes, and then log out, and log into the other database, even though they are both under the same site... hope that makes sense... is this possible with ISPConfig?

I used to be on managed hosting that used like cPanel or Plesk, and when you created multiple databases, you were able to manage them all within one login of phpmyadmin....

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Each database has a separate login in ISPConfig. Of course, you're free to create additional databases with phpMyAdmin, but make sure you use database names/user names that do not conflict with ISPConfig's naming scheme.

6. digitalv

digitalv New Member

Sounds good, but when I login to phpmyadmin with the login/pass created with ISPConfig, and try to create a DB, it says access denied... is that correct or did I do something wrong? If I login with root then I can do everything needed, but I need to enable clients to create db's from within phpmyadmin... or will I have to login as root and manually change the permissions of each user to allow creation? If so thats no biggie, but would be more convenient if it was automatic... Thanks for all the help :)

7. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

You must login with MySQL user account not with the (mail)useraccount or client account. If you can not enter phpMyAdmin with the MySQL useraccount, probably something is wrong...

8. digitalv

digitalv New Member

So when I create a DB within ISPConfig and it gives me a user/pass, thats no good for doing anything other then administering that database? Ouch... so what account do I have to give my clients to be able to login to phpmyadmin and be able to create new DB's within phpmyadmin? Do I have to manually create accounts for them from within phpmyadmin?

Thanks for the help!

9. falko

Yes, that's how it's supposed to be. Users can create/delete/change tables within that specific database, but nothing more. Imagine they could create new databases or even delete existing ones... That would be a pretty insecure setup.

That's not a good idea (see above). You'd have to create a database user that is allowed to create new databases. It would be better if you created the databases for your users yourself to go sure that your users don't abuse your database.

Yes. Take a look at MySQL's GRANT syntax: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/en/GRANT.html

10. digitalv

digitalv New Member

Ok, so how does the other hosting sites allow users to create DB's within phpmyadmin then? I am really unsure of how the whole hosting stuff works for other sites so bear with me! Because with all my previous hosts, I was always able to create, delete, etc with no problems, and I would only see my databases, no one elses... is that something specific to Plesk/cPanel or what?

But your answers are perfect, as long as I know thats what I have to do then thats no problem, I love ISPConfig and can't believe I was actually looking into purchasing a license for cPanel or Plesk before finding ISPConfig. Thanks a ton for all your help, and I hope I can get some free time here soon and be able to start contributing back to the community.

11. falko

You can do the same with ISPConfig, only that the database names/usernames cannot be changed.

12. digitalv

digitalv New Member

ok thats what I was thinking. Thanks for all the help!