Can't seem to figure this out...

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by justjim, Dec 4, 2005.

1. justjim

justjim New Member

Hello,
    I'm having a problem that I've seen posted elsewhere here, but can't seem to find an answer that works! Here are all of the details:

I have installed Ubuntu Breezy Badger 5.10 and followed the HowToForge documents. The install went well.

Problem: When I try to access my site, I receive the Apache "Index of /" screen instead of my website main page.

Notes: My Internet Provider blocks port 80. Therefore, I am doing a forward from my domain registar. I am forwarding all requests for my site to be forwarded to my external IP:port 5555

I'm sure that this is a DNS issue of some type, but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot and resolve. Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to make changes on the Domain Registar side, or locally from within ISPConfig? If so, what changes should I make?

2. Since my Domain registar is forwarding all requests for my domain to my specific IP:port, does Apache know which site to hand the request to? In other words, if I add more sites onto my server, can Apache handle these with only the IP and Port information? Or, is my Domain Registar also sending the site information too?

3. Anything else I need to know about to make this work?

Thanks in advance!

- Jim

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Have you forwarded your external port 5555 to port 80 or port 5555 of your linux server?

3. justjim

justjim New Member

I have requests for the domain forwarded from my registar to my external IP:port 5555. Then all requests for that port are allowed through my router/firewall and go to my server (192.168.1.103:port 5555).

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

But your Apache is running on port 80, isn't it? Then you must forward requests to your router on port 5555 to port 80 on 192.168.1.103.

5. justjim

justjim New Member

I have Apache listening on port 5555 and port 443.

6. falko

7. justjim

justjim New Member

Thanks! That seemed to get me one step further in the process.

However, now I'm getting the page that says there are multiple sites hosted on the server and to enter the domain name instead of the IP address.

Does this mean that my domain host does not pass this information when they
    do forwarding....or is there something I can do locally to make this work? Maybe in the DNS settings area???

Thanks again!

8. falko

What page do you see then? Did you use the IP address?

9. justjim

justjim New Member

My Internet Provider blocks port 80. Therefore, I am doing a forward from my domain registar. They are forwarding all requests for my site (www.greatgolfswing.com) to be forwarded to my external IP:port (70.187.21.206:5555).

When I type in my URL, I'm forwarded to a page that says:
    This IP address is shared. For access to the web site which you look for, enter its address instead of its IP.

Is there any way to resolve this? Or can you make recommendations for a better way to do what I am attempting?

Thanks again!

Jim

10. till

Have you changed the ISPConfig sources like falko suggested above? Without that change you cant see the vhosts because they are on port 80 and not port 5555.

11. falko

I've just realized that when you visit www.greatgolfswing.com, the address in the browser changes to http://70.187.21.206:5555/. That's the reason why you see the shared IP page.
    I did a dig www.greatgolfswing.com:

www.greatgolfswing.com is another server than 70.187.21.206! I guess when you visit www.greatgolfswing.com, there's some kind of script that redirects you to http://70.187.21.206:5555/. That doesn't work. The A record for www.greatgolfswing.com must point directly to 70.187.21.206, and then you must use www.greatgolfswing.com:5555 to access your web site!

12. justjim

justjim New Member

That's exactly what I've tried explaining already!

My ISP blocks port 80. Therefore, my domain host is forwarding everything destined for www.greatgolfswing.com to http://70.187.21.206:5555/

I disabled the "forward" today and set my "A" record to 70.187.21.206

However, to access my site, any visitors must manually append the port number (5555) to the end of my URL. This is NOT what I want!

I'm trying to figure out a different way to make this work with only the URL. Is this possible? If so, how?

13. till

I recommend you either to change your ISP or put your server in a datacenter.

The only other solution might be that you create an IP based vhost for port 5555 manually in your httpd.conf that points to the vhost directory of the ISPCOnfig web 1.

14. falko

That's why it isn't working. Apache is using name based vhosts, but your visitors are redirected to an IP address only, so there's no name that Apache can use to determine which site it shoud serve...

There's no other solution with name based vhosts, other than that what Till suggested...

15. justjim

justjim New Member

OK. I appreciate the assistance.

How do I go about doing this?:
    "The only other solution might be that you create an IP based vhost for port 5555 manually in your httpd.conf that points to the vhost directory of the ISPCOnfig web .1"

Also, if I do this and when wish to add additional sites onto my server, would it still be possible?

Thanks again!

16. falko

You would need one IP address per web site. Whenever you create a new web site in ISPConfig, you choose one IP address from the drop down menu that isn't in use yet. And of course, for each of these web site, you also need a public IP address on the internet side of your router that your forward to the corresponding internal IP address... I don't know if your ISP can give you more than one public IP address so it might be better to get a server in a data canter or go to an ISP that doesn't block port 80...

17. till

If you want to try out what falko suggested, you will also have to disable the sharedIP Website in the ispconfig sources. Otherwise the visitors will be directed to the shared IP website.

18. piyopiyo

piyopiyo New Member

Hello,

Thanks for the great work.

I installed the latest ipsconfig released without trouble on a FC4 server.
    I followed the "perfect setup..." wihtout problem. But when I type the URL

www.mycompany.com I get to a page that says:
    This IP address is shared. For access to the web site which you look for, enter its address instead of its IP.

But when I type mycompany.com it displays the correct page that says
    "Welcome to ns1.mycompany.com
    This is tha standard page...."

dig mycompany.com gives:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> mycompany.com
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 59461
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;mycompany.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    mycompany.com. 78476 IN A 146.145.195.66

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    mycompany.com. 78482 IN NS ns1.mycompany.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    ns1.mycompany.com. 55544 IN A 146.145.195.66

;; Query time: 9 msec
    ;; SERVER: 146.145.64.2#53(146.145.64.2)
    ;; WHEN: Fri Jan 6 11:12:44 2006
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 83

dig www.mycompany.com gives the same:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> www.mycompany.com
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 59612
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.mycompany.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    www.mycompany.com. 78398 IN A 146.145.195.66

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    mycompany.com. 78398 IN NS ns1.mycompany.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    ns1.mycompany.com. 55460 IN A 146.145.195.66

;; Query time: 10 msec
    ;; SERVER: 146.145.64.2#53(146.145.64.2)
    ;; WHEN: Fri Jan 6 11:14:08 2006
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 87

I am new to the DNS space and will appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Piyo

19. till

Have you created a website in ISPConfig for www.mycompany.com and checked that the website has a co-domain company.com?

20. piyopiyo

piyopiyo New Member

Yes. the web site has a co-domain mycompany.com
    IPSite-co-domain shows:
    IP Hostname Domain
    172.16.2.1 incnetworks.com

Thanks,
    piyo