Can't send mails only to hotmail

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sulfuric, Mar 28, 2007.

1. wapa17

wapa17 New Member

Hi Hagforce,

.. the most important solve is the trouble with the reverse-DNS..
    Example: your "mailserver" has the name "mail.yourdomain.com".
    your reverse-dns need to resolve to "mail.yourdomain.com" and this is only in the "goodwill" of your internet-provider. You have to say them that normal y reverse-resulaution must point to "mail.vourdomain.com" . (I had the exact same problem)
    After that check it with a traceroute to mail.yourdomain.com and have a look WHAT is printed in the monitor as last entry.. it must be "mail.yourdoamin.com" and not "static48.provideretcetc.com".
    If you have this, you can send mails to hotmail, BUT .. the mails will be received in the "Junk-Mail-Folder" automatically - as long as the mailbox owner decide that this mails are NOT spam.
    If you have an SPF-record, you have to transmit it to Hotmail ([email protected], though this is pretty a case of luck, because I did it more times and my mails are send to Junk-Mail-folder too until today).

2. Hagforce

Hagforce New Member

Thank you wapa17

But some qestions remain....

-What do you do with the reverse DNS entries when you have multiple domains?
    -I see that I have no SPF record when using the tools linked to in this tread, but I have added one in ISPConfig, do I have to get my registrar to add these SPF records to his DNS servers?

3. wapa17

wapa17 New Member

Hagforce:

Your mailserver always will be "mail.yourdomain.com". It doesnt matter how many domains you have to host !
    Well, let us say you have a client with the domain "yourclient.net". Sure you have created the zones for the DNS, havn't you ?
    I must to say that in this case I like to write the DNS-entries by hand and not to use the DNS-scripts of ISPConfig.

1.) Let us have a look at the relevant records of your domain. It should look like this:

mail A (your IP public of the mailserver without ending point)
    mail MX 10 mail.yourdomain.com.

and

yourdomain.com. TXT "v=spf1 mx -all"

2.) The records in the zone-file of your client should look like this:

mail A (your IP public of the mailserver without ending point)
    mail MX 10 mail.yourdomain.com.

and

yourclient.net. 86400 IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx include:yourdomain.com ~all"

3.) Send an e-mail to [email protected] and write in the first line your domain - nothing else. (Repeat it for all of your domains that you are hosting).

4.) Dont forget: if you make manual changes to a zone-file, you have to increase the serial-number by hand too !! Example : 2007101801 , (YYYYMMDD
    + 2 digits number)

Hope it helps

4. Hagforce

Hagforce New Member

Thank you so mutch!

Just another couple of qestions :)

If I have my websites on this server too, should the reverse dns be mydomain.com or mail.maydomain.com?

For my other hosted domains, i pointed them to my servers ip in the registrars DNS service. Then i just created a new site in ISPConfig. Some more configuration that is needed?

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

That doesn't matter. The only thing that is important is that your IP points to a reverse record, and that in return this reverse record resolves to the right IP address. This is what most mail servers check.

No.

6. Hagforce

Hagforce New Member

Ok, so basickly it could also be static48.provider-cust.com?
    Or you ment it could be either mydomain.com www.maydomain.com or mail.maydomain.com etc?

I made a SPF record in ISPConfig for my "main" domain, but the report at dnsstuff.com still shows no SPF records (added the SPF in ISPConfig 7 days ago)....
    Do I need to make my registrar add this?

On the other domains, should i add a Create DNS-MX witch is clientdomain.com or mydomain.com?
    And what do I put in the SPF record for client domains?

Sorry if I`m a bit slow here :p

7. Hawker

Hawker New Member

If your registrar's DNS is the one that's authorative (it sounds like it is) for all of your domains, the SPF and MX records must be added to their DNS.

When you run a DNS report, what does it show for name servers? nsX.yourregistrar.com or nsX.yourdomain.com?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  8. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

No you can not.
    To make it easy. Send an email to a gmail account, and have a look at the "original" post.
    Look for the following:
    As you can see the Received-SPF MX DNS for an email from the server is named: server1.howtoforge.com (remove @ and the part in front of it)

If you do the same with your server you will find the name that you will need to use for your reverse DNS.
    When you have this, ask your ISP to set the revers DNS to that name!

Btw. The shown response from the Receiver-SPF record from Howtoforge.com is as you can see not correct setup as it's giving a neutral
    A good response should show something like:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  9. wapa17

wapa17 New Member

Hagforce:

No. It cannot be static48.provider-cust.com. It must be mail.yourdomain.com !
    And THIS must be configured by your provider.

It does not affect the reverse-DNS entries that you have in your zone-files in your ISP-config-server, ok ?

Dnsstuff.com : I checked the SPF-records too via dnstuff.. and it dropped an error too (although I had it!). I think this checkroutine is a bit buggy. There are some other SPF-online-checks that can give you better results: http://www.openspf.org/Tools
    for example.

10. wapa17

wapa17 New Member

Edge:

On this place - because you brought gmail in the game - we must to say:

Gmail, Yahoo (and others too ?) dont use the strict senderid-program from Microsoft.
    They will look (in the near future) for the DNS-"fingerprint" entry in connection with the SPF-record.
    And this is another entry in the DNS - zone-files.

11. edge

edge Active Member Moderator

I only showed this "trick" so Hagforce could get the correct name to set the revers DNS to. (it would be easier if Hagforce would run his own DNS)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  12. statiic

statiic New Member

I also have problems sending to hotmail. I can reply, but not send new messages.

SPF correct
    DNS correct
    Submitted to sender ID 2 weeks ago
    Mail server tested to other mail clients all ok
    GMAil header test. SPF pass
    DNStools test: reverse dns, all ok
    Blacklists checked. Im not on it

Domain: heldermarketing.nl
    IP: just ping it ;)

Does anyone have more suggestions?? Cause I cant find any reason anymore why my mails dont arrive.
    I only have cpanel access.

13. falko

Does this SPF record:
    Code:
    heldermarketing.nl.     86400   IN      TXT     "v=spf1 ip4:75.127.65.171 a a:cpanel6.bizstreet.net -all"
    describe all hosts from which you're sending emails?

14. statiic

statiic New Member

uh no. I'm only sending mail from this mail server. Only I do insert this spf record to all my client domain names.

greetz

15. falko

Is this mail server included in the SPF record?

16. statiic

statiic New Member

YOu can see my spf record below. However hotmail seems to accept my mails now. I dont know what happened it almost took 3 weeks to submit my domains to the senderid() program, but finally it works.

17. jisri

jisri New Member

hotmail issues and mesage size

same issues mentioned above.
    did all the mentioned solution
    now I can only send large emails to hotmail

messages smaller than 6 lines of text will be lose in cyber space blackholes
    they do not even go to the junk folder.

anything to do with the headers?

any iputs or help will be appreciated.

18. falko

I'd contact Hotmail about this.

19. wapa17

wapa17 New Member

After Hotmail comes Yahoo :-(

Falko:

In the last time I encountered problems with Yahoo - some mails simply were not delivered. Some of the yahoo-mailservers started to refuse the connections with my mailserver and so on. Result: some of important mails didnt go through.

Let me copy what I wrote to the postmaster of Yahoo:
    -------- cut ----------------
    Dear Samuel,

the problem is getting worse.
    Now I have no other choice as to call the clients of my customers and to
    tell them the problems with Yahoo and that is better to switch to an other
    MTA.
    It doesnt make sense that in these days and all this spam-hysteria we have
    to call the clients by phone if they got the mail or not. I think that
    Yahoo should have note that especially in Latin-America many companies (for
    economical reasons) dont own a proper mail-domain - they are using yahoo,
    hotmail and gmail. And their mails ARE comercial - of course - and if you
    are filtering with words like "commission", "offer" (in the respective
    language") incoming and outgoing mails will dropped down by these filters.

Really important information we cannot send by e-mail more (if the receiver
    has an account of yahoo,hotmail,gmail) - we returned to paper and fax.

Kind regards,
    ---------------------- cut ------------------------