Can't send or receive email!

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sergio.morales, Jun 29, 2008.

1. cburtnett

cburtnett New Member

I'm having problems exactly like the ones you had, can you tell me how you got "fully functional"? Thanks,

Chad

2. sergio.morales

sergio.morales New Member

Well, let's start at the beginning . . .

What exactly are you having issues with? Please send me screenshots if you can caue I'm fairly new to ISPconfig AND Linux!! LOL!!

sERGE

3. cburtnett

cburtnett New Member

Thanks!

Where to start? I followed your thread to the end, I did what you had done, I use netsol, so I had created my own Name Servers, using the advanced options in Netsol however I ended up changing everything back to there NS, and reset ISPConfig settings to default using no MX or A records other and let netsol take care of that for now anyway. I can only send and recieve email locally, if I send to hotmail or Comcast I get a relay denied error. What screen shots would you like to see?

4. sergio.morales

Email program

What email program are you using? I am using Thunderbird. What I didn't realize is that I had to make a server entry for every single user. So, if you're using Thunderbird, go to "View Settings for this account, and for the outgoing mail servers (SMTP), at the bottom of all the users, click on "Use Name and Password" and put in your username there. If you DO NOT put the username ( if you leave it blank) it will NOT work.

I tried using one SMTP entry for 2 different users (cause I wanted to test the users) and figured out that the only way to make this work was to make a SMTP entry for each and every user I made, using their personal info for authentication.

Let me know if this works.

sERGE

5. cburtnett

cburtnett New Member

I'm actually using MS Outlook, I can try using Thunderbird but I would like getting the Outlook to work! I host sites for a few people and I had Ubuntu 6.X and everything worked fine, I set up a new server with Kubuntu 8X and now I have these relay problems? Heres a snip of my Outlook settings

[​IMG]

6. sergio.morales

Hmmm

I don't see where you can enable TLS or SSL, and most importantly, I'd like to see where you set up the SMTP outgoing server. I have Outlook on my machine . . . Let me try to set it up.

sERGE

7. sergio.morales

I think I found something

OK. When you're making the accounts, under the SENDING MAIL portion you'll see Advanced Settings. Click on "SMTP server requires authentication", then you'll have to try the 2 options under it for which username to use. I would specify using the actual username other than letting it choose, so I'd use the lower one in the picture . . .

I actually use entourage for my mac . . . I don't have outlook per se . . .

I hope this helps!!

sERGE

Attached Files:

8. cburtnett

cburtnett New Member

Ok, I just downloaded Thunderbird to see if it's an X problem, I have tried setting up the security settings but i still get relay issues.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. cburtnett

cburtnett New Member

10. sergio.morales

One thing I see right away

Hey, Click off the "use secure authentication" on the user options. Leave it on in the Outgoing server options (which you already have). Also don't pick TLS if available, pick TLS only.

Another very important thing, I used the IMAP server, not POP, so I hope that isn't the issue!!! If it is, then there is not much I can do . . .

sERGE

Attached Files:

11. cburtnett

cburtnett New Member

I may have a different issue

Thanks, for your help! I was checking my RDNS, I have an issue there so it may be the issue! I'll have to call in and have them rebuild the tables for me. I'll let you know if that fixes it! Thanks again for your help!

Chad

12. sergio.morales

No problem

Ping if you need help!!

sERGE