Can't SSH,FTP, Getting Database Error Until Reboot

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by fatmike, Apr 19, 2015.

1. fatmike

fatmike Member

Hi, I have a cluster server setup (2web, 1mail, 2db, 2nameservers) under ISPConfig3 with Debian wheezy.
    The last couple of days there is this weird issue that is happening.
    All servers except one database server working fine.
    I can't connect via SSH,FTP and there is connection error for my applications.
    I get password not correct or auth failed for root and other users.
    All of that is gone after I reboot the machine. But after a few hours the issue comes back and i have to reboot again.
    I contacted support about the issue and their response was:
    But i haven't made any change and the servers was fine. After that was working fine for a day and then the issue reappeared plus when i tried to connect via SSH i got a warning.
    I contacted the support again about the issue and the responded that: "You can ignore that. Was caused by the reroute."

OK fine but the issue still exists.
    I checked the logs of fail2ban and auth and i noticed a lot of failed attempts by IPs from China(I have no relation with China whatsoever).

Do you think that it may be related?
    Any idea why i cant connect until a reboot?

Thank you

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The ssh warning means that you most likely connected to a wrong vm, as your provider said thats it was an isue in the vm config, then this was basically an issue on the side of your provider. maybe they accidently assigned your ip to a different vm or something like that.

fatmike likes this.
  3. fatmike

fatmike Member

Yes! That was the issue...

After a lot of testing(on my end) and complains, they admitted that they assigned the same ip to another client.
    In addition they assigned me a secondary IP and changed the host configuration, without informing me.

My client notified me of an error on their website, so i noticed the changes.

That VPS was a part of cluster setup(so if the other client knew could connect too) and had that IP the last 3 years.
    I had created a glue record, dns, databases...

I know,, issues like that might happen, we are all humans after all, but they handle it totally unprofessional and unfairly towards me.
    Am I overreacting?